Man pulled over in routine traffic stop forced in enemas and more

askanison

Juan De Silva was pulled over by Berwyn police January 13 after failing to make a complete stop at a stop sign outside a McDonalds parking lot off Cermak road. After ordering De Silva out of his vehicle, police began insisting that De Silva was clenching his buttocks, claiming the action was probable cause to suspect illegal drugs were hidden inside his anal cavity.
He was then taken to a local hospital for a cavity search where doctors refused citing it wasn't ethical despite the warrant. The police then drove to another county where the man was subjected to a two cavity searches, three enemas, x-rays, and a colonoscopy. They put the guy under and shoved a camera up his butt. Wow talk about excessive force. I can imagine even after such brutal treatment this guy will be singing his way to the bank.
What is your take was this warranted or just police brutality? I feel a simple x-ray would have been more than enough.

Article

bala

What were the docs doing,shouldn't they have stopped the cops,despite a negative X-ray result..?? What were the public doing then,do they not care unless they go under the hammer..??
I pity this poor chap,but acc to the law he deserved much better.That is disturbing and stupidity at its heights.

askanison

I really feel it was done because he was an illegal immigrant and they felt they would teach him a lesson for coming over here and living off taxpayer money. I have seen the disdain some people hold for anyone with brown skin. It doesn't matter to them if they were born here or not they are seen as a threat and as a drain on the economy.

Dixons

This is a clear case of police brutality, what kind of probable cause did they even have? I'm not sure how much is true of the story but if it is exactly as described in the article, the victim should be able to get quite some money out of this.

Kate

This is a clear case of police brutality, what kind of probable cause did they even have? I'm not sure how much is true of the story but if it is exactly as described in the article, the victim should be able to get quite some money out of this.

But people *DO* hide drugs... uh... "there." They do it all the time. Police brutality would have had the POLICE searching that "cavity", don't you think?!

I mean come ON! They took him to the hospital to have it done and didn't do the search themselves. Drug users HIDE their drugs there... what other option would there be?! Let him go as a suspect because he was smart enough to know where to hide his drugs?

I do see that the original poster said an x-ray would have been enough... I'm not sure if that's accurate or not, but my answer is about the replies.

I don't think being an illegal immigrant is part of it... if he was "squeezing" it like people do when they're hiding their drugs, of course he'd have to be checked, no matter where he's from.

Profit5500

But people *DO* hide drugs... uh... "there." They do it all the time. Police brutality would have had the POLICE searching that "cavity", don't you think?!

I mean come ON! They took him to the hospital to have it done and didn't do the search themselves. Drug users HIDE their drugs there... what other option would there be?! Let him go as a suspect because he was smart enough to know where to hide his drugs?

I do see that the original poster said an x-ray would have been enough... I'm not sure if that's accurate or not, but my answer is about the replies.

I don't think being an illegal immigrant is part of it... if he was "squeezing" it like people do when they're hiding their drugs, of course he'd have to be checked, no matter where he's from.
Well I don't think immigration status would have mattered in this case. I think that if you hide something in your rectum you are asking for trouble from the law. I just don't know how long this guy has been in the states illegally but his number was up. I mean its just the nasty side of the law and this guy should have been more careful.

KrustyKrabella

But clearly this guy *wasn't* hiding drugs there.

Never once does the article state that he was an illegal immigrant, by the way. If he was illegal, it would probably state he was an illegal alien. Immigrant does not denote illegality by default.

Regardless of whether this guy had drugs or not, the police broke laws. The moved him to a county the warrant wasn't valid in. They continued searching him well after the warrant expired. Even IF this guy had drugs, the case would have to be dropped because the police had a blatant disregard for procedure.

So, Kate. If this would have happened to you, and your butt cheeks were clenched out of nervousness from dealing with the police, you'd be okay with it? I mean, people *do* hide drugs there, right? All of that being carried out on you would have been perfectly reasonable just because. Right? If your answer is no, as it should be, then it wasn't right to happen to this guy either.

stevesxs9

After the first cavity search was performed and found nothing, they should have let him go or charge him with something legitimate. Because it sounds like quite a few laws were broken by police.

LuckyGirl08

All of the examination was just uncalled for. Like mentioned before, a simply x-ray would have done the job. That mans rights were violated by officers and they should pay for that. I hope the man sues the law enforcement.

helaofthenorns

Did they ever find whatever they were looking for?

Something like this should be brought into investigation. A simple x-ray or ultrasound should have been enough. I guess that the doctors allowed the tests because the officers had the warrant, and they didn't really know anything about legal procedures and rights of suspects.

JoshPosh

Banned
Wait.....they pulled him over because he didn't make a complete stop, and they had a warrant to search his ass? How is that possible? You need a judge to sign on warrant. But they just stopped him for not making a complete stop? Doesn't sound right.