Must one go college to be successful in life?

headmaster

It is not a must for one to go to college to make it in life because a good number of guys I personally know have made it very well.

helaofthenorns

Here in my country, it is really necessary if you are talking about success career-wise. I mean, most of the companies here require a college degree for the higher-paying positions. However, if you are talking in general, I don't think so. There are so many people in the world who are very successful now even if they don't have a college degree.

Nevi

Having a degree is definitely will get give you the upper hand versus the one who do not have. In my country, it is a mandatory and won't get you anywhere without, but I know some people without a degree who is successful but that that's out of sheer luck.

Rainman

I think if you want to be employed by some company, you won't get far without a degree. For business-minded people, inventors, writers, artistes . . . creative types and sportsmen they don't need a college degree to be good at what they do and in the end make lots of money. It's best though, for the sake of having all your bases covered to go to college if you can afford it.

dostava

Of course some people who don't go to college make it very far in life but keep in mind those are only exceptions to the rule! Getting a degree will not necessarily mean you will get a fun, stable and well-paid job, but hey, such things usually happen to educated people. Also, you will be safe from underqualification if you get an education and as long as you don't end up in unmanageable debt, you'll be fine then.

Muthoni

I will always vote for going to college, it does not matter how well someone is doing. An education is supposed to open the mind of a person to see outside the box. There is a reason why they say that one cannot get enough education. The best inheritance that a parent can give to their child is a good education.

oraclemay

I don't believe that you can only get a good education through a school system. There are many other ways of becoming educated. Many have achieved success without education.

Rahstyles

It is obviously an advantage but there are many successful people who never went to college.

The phrase "educated derelicts " is quite often used so having gone to college is no guarantee of success.

Profit5500

It solely depends on the job you are trying to go for that would pay well in the long run. If you want to make it and be a candidate who would stand out then get at least a Bachelor's degree and then go for your Master's degree. If you want to be a well-paid police officer then go for a Bachelor's degree and if you can go for the Master's degree. I know that a pharmacist you only need a Bachelor's degree.

januz101

A college degree does not necessarily require you to be succesful in life however it does give you an edge of others. Nothing beats hardwork and perseverance though. And luck also plays a huge part as well.

bala

Career wise,yes,you need some degree after your name to earn a name after all,but if you really have the talent but are not strong academically,then you stand a great chance for a successful life.It is how you carve it out that how you live it.Identifying the requisites will be the biggest challenge.

Josie

You absolutely do not need a degree to succeed in life. The problem is people's ideas of success and feeling like a failure without fulfilling the rolls our governments lay out for us. You don't ever need to step foot in a school to succeed in life. If you want to be a part of that whole thing, than yes, some careers obviously need education, but that wasn't the question ;)

dyanmarie25

Actually, here in our country, going to college is a big deal. When you are able to get a college degree, it's your ticket to success. You will be able to land a much better job and have a successful career. But of course, you should not rely everything on your degree. You should also work hard and don't be self-assured.

oraclemay

Actually no. There is so much evidence now that you do not even have to go to school to be successful. I belong to Unschooling on Facebook and it proves that children are natural learners that don't have to be forced, with many of them going on to get degrees which is heir choice. The internet has opened doors to all kinds of learning methods and we should learn naturally by following our instincts. This will ensure that we do not end up in jobs we hate, like our parents did.

lushlala

Some people do very well for themselves even without a university Degree and/or other fancy qualifications. BUT a Degree offers you a safety net because a lot of high ranking white collar jobs do ask for it as the bear minimum. In Botswana especially, companies place a lot of importance on education. Most people in Botswana strive for a Degree, and more and more are now going for their Masters Degrees and even Doctorates. So you find that even a Degree doesn't get you very far :(

Shimus

Unless you can

1) Create an Invention
2) Write a book or script for a movie series/book series that takes off
3) Find some others way to strike it rich quick

Then yeah. In today's market at least where I'm from (PA, USA) there is a necessary need for a College Degree. Everyone applying for your same jobs with a more extensive resume and ANY Degree will almost 90% of the time get it over Average Joe A who only has a Highschool Diploma. I've been turned down for so many jobs that don't even require a degree but someone with one ahead of me got the job, even if their skillset on their degree did not pertain to their job. Employers look for distinguishing marks or traits, and if you don't have one chances are you get the shaft. I have since I was 20, trying to find jobs to support a place to live since I can't get loans to go to school and I get turned down for financial aid.

Gabe

Not always, because some people are not academic but have skills in other areas that they are successful in. College is necessary for certain careers in science, finance, medicine and law, but artistic ventures can be a combination of talent and luck. There are many who go to college and struggle to find work or success, but they have studied and at least have something to show that they have knowledge in.

bala

It depends on what you call a successful life,if you calling it the shots with educational background,then yeah,college is a must,if its entrepreneurship then it ain't a necessity.The 2 are two diff extremes and i can cite 2 different instances of people who have led each of these paths.

Onionman

Definitely not. Without a doubt going to college does get you a head start in terms of qualifications and contacts, and may be required for some professions (e.g. a doctor). But there have been entrepreneurs since the beginning of time that have made their way without a formal education. It's hard but it's definitely doable, even more so now that you can learn a lot of the skills required online.