Must one go college to be successful in life?

Key343

I don't think so. There are a lot of people who didn't go to college or dropped of college and are very successful. Like my mom went to college and got her PhD. She makes a reasonable amount of money. About 80,000 a year. But my dad didn't go to college and he makes the same amount as her. So I think that it just depends on what you do after high school. Whether that is get a job and work your way up or go to college.

jesuslover0314

I honestly believe that you do not have to go to college to be successful in life. You could be very well skilled at something and get a good job/career without having a college education. However, a college education will open more job/career opportunities, you can still be successful without it.

oraclemay

I think it is far better to educate our children to do things for themselves and to open their own businesses, rather than to study to get a job. If they do go out to work it should serve as training or a stepping stone to greater things. I see that jobs are going to become fewer and fewer in the future as technology becomes more prevalent. People need to become more independent.

GlacialDoom

While many big names have made it even though they dropped out of college (Bill Gates, Steve Jobs), they had an innovative way of thinking, which most of the world lacks. That's why I am a firm believer that one needs to go to college in order to be truly successful in life. It's not even about the knowledge you get, but more about the diploma and certification you get, which may assure you a job.

Josie

Actually, it's not just Gates and Jobs type of people. You're a part of a new world, where our brains are becoming more and more appreciated over pieces of paper. It's becoming common place, that some high profile employers are looking at what you can offer their company.. what ideas you have, what real world experience you have, and ignore the school you went to and the grades you received. A huge shift is happening right now. Many many many people never step foot in a school and live a successful life..

FuZyOn

Not necessarily but you shouldn't view college like that. Everyone that is successful without college had a clear path of what they were going to do and they were also ready to fail if anything happened.
College is the "safe route".

bala

Not necessarily but you shouldn't view college like that. Everyone that is successful without college had a clear path of what they were going to do and they were also ready to fail if anything happened.
College is the "safe route".

Maybe this just gives us an answer to the entire discussion.
It really is the safest,if not the wisest.Would up Vote it if it was reddit..:p

jeremy2

Although not a must, colleges play an important role in our careers.They shape us to be well shaped individuals who are better placed to make it in life with the skills we have acquired in college.

Rosyrain

I think if you want to be employed by some company, you won't get far without a degree. For business-minded people, inventors, writers, artistes . . . creative types and sportsmen they don't need a college degree to be good at what they do and in the end make lots of money. It's best though, for the sake of having all your bases covered to go to college if you can afford it.

I agree with your statement. If you wish to get a job at a bug company like Amazon or something, you pretty much need a degree of some sort to get in the door. I have looked for many jobs that require degrees and I don't have one yet. If you want to write or have a creative career, I don't think a degree is required. You might also get lucky enough to know someone who can get you into a company, but that does not happen often.

GFgwen#05

I agree 100%. It is really nice to have a solid degree such as computer science or engineering. But It also depends a lot on who you know. And being in the right place at the right time helps a lot, too. I have a degree in business management and have had some nice jobs. But I have since gone into a different direction by getting a master degree in mental health counseling. I love this field and I am doing very well. However, I have a lot of family and friends who are doing well and don't have a degree.

Whitewolf2578

I kind of wish I would have gotten a degree in College, but it is not that you have to go to college just to become successful in life, there are plenty of jobs out there that people do that they themselves never went to college and yet they are rich. I remember getting out of high school and dreading going to college because I was sick and tired of school. I may go back one day, but for now I am happy with the way things are going.

Patrick

It's definitely a path to land you a nicer job as a starting position, but thereafter what really matters is your commitment, soft skills and contributions.

bala

It solely depends on the job you are trying to go for that would pay well in the long run. If you want to make it and be a candidate who would stand out then get at least a Bachelor's degree and then go for your Master's degree. If you want to be a well-paid police officer then go for a Bachelor's degree and if you can go for the Master's degree. I know that a pharmacist you only need a Bachelor's degree.
WOw..Quite in a nutshell :D
I too am looking out at a option but i have already faltered twice.Looks like studies is a tough ass job.
A phd..is just a "thwack up" in the ass.