Police chief mistakes daughter, 16, for intruder and shoots her

Gabe

Kids sneak into the house all the time. I've done it, billions of teenagers have done it and will carry on doing so, but you don't expect to get shot, which is why the laws of defense of property are specific. You can only shoot if that person is armed and you are in immediate threat as in using self-defense. Regardless i is an action the father will always carry with him. It's fairly normal for a 16 year old to break curfew and sneak in and it was an accident, there is no point blaming anyone here, except identify before you pull the trigger.

Gelsemium

I can't even imagine the pain of a father shooting his own daughter... At the same time, how can something like that happen? Couldn't he approached to see closer who it was? Shoot and don't ask?

Determined2014

Yes you ar right on that one both are at fault, the daughter should not have been sneaking in the houe, the police officer should not have been so paranoid to shoot that quick.

Shimus

All I can think is that the Father had no positive identification, it was later in the night so it was dark, and he probably already expected her to be asleep/doing something else. These three things don't make it okay to fire upon an intruder without positive ID though, and I'm sure as the Chief he knew this. So he'll not only be facing repercussions but I feel his daughter won't be sneaking out of the house and back and forth anymore either. Glad to see neither one ate the dust.

dyanmarie25

That's a bit sad. Though I won't totally blame her father for shooting her since he really thought she was already sleeping inside her room and didn't have any idea at all that she was the one sneaking into the house. He must be feeling really guilty right now. I hope this incident would serve as a lesson to the daughter.