Responding to a call.

LuckyGirl08

This question is about something that happened 4 years ago. Late one night my mother called the police because a man came in her yard and hit her in the chest. When she called the police they told her that they did not have time to come check it out because they had better things to do. Long story short, she passed away 5 days later from having heart attacks back to back after she got hit in the chest. My question is, are the police required to check out every call that is made to them about any situation? Oh and the guy was never arrested nor questioned by the police.

wulfman

Wow first of all my condolences to you. Losing a mother is one of the worst things in the world. I think you should file a report about it . The police should have acted on the call. The guy was trespassing which is a crime last time I checked. And he hit her? Still they refused to come to the house? I have never heard of that. I would sue them for every penny. While it cannot be proven that the heart attack was due to the blow to her chest, I'm pretty sure the event led up to that. Again really sorry to hear about your mom. God bless.

wulfman

And yes I believe the police are required to follow up on any emergency call no matter whether it is a cat stuck in a tree or a murderer in the house. They have to respond.

js85

Wow that's awful, I can't believe that happened. I hope something like this gets out so everyone's aware to not take something that seems small lightly.

bala

Losing a mother is one of the worst things that can happen to a person.Condolences from my side.
To answer your question,the police needn't check out on every call,and despite it being their duty,they care less about it.had you insisted that they come over,they might have,else they just shrug it off and move on.

Lin

This question is about something that happened 4 years ago. Late one night my mother called the police because a man came in her yard and hit her in the chest. When she called the police they told her that they did not have time to come check it out because they had better things to do. Long story short, she passed away 5 days later from having heart attacks back to back after she got hit in the chest. My question is, are the police required to check out every call that is made to them about any situation? Oh and the guy was never arrested nor questioned by the police.
That's a sad story and I am also interested in the answer. I hope that that woman victim took a visit to the hospital. The guy didn't kill her on spot, so in going to the hospital the doctors would have been able to do a proper check on her and then issue some kind of document permitting the police to arrest this culprit. I am sorry to hear about your mom though.

LuckyGirl08

Thank you all for your advice. My family had a lawsuit against the police station but our lawyer told us that there was no proof that she called. My mother did not go to the hospital immediately because she really did not think that it was serious. The event occurred on a early Monday morning and she went to the hospital that Thursday at 7am. Sadly she passed away that Friday morning. To this day, the guy is still bothering our family and every time we call the police nothing is done. They even told us that if we call to make a complaint against him again that we will get locked up. Our police system down here is screwed up.

milyjohnson

I'm so sorry that your mother passed away because of this. That's messed up that the police didn't do anything to help your mother. It was a serious crime and they should have done something about it. I think they should have checked out what happened to her because they guy might have been caught.

DancingLady

Oh, my goodness, that is so wrong. They are required to respond to calls, that is their job! And this turned into a tragedy too. That really needs to be investigated because if they didn't come when she called after being assaulted by a trespasser on her own property, what else are they letting slide? I know of one case from over 10 years ago that did come to light where lack of follow up ultimately lead to the deaths of two girls. Police have to be held accountable to do their job right ever, single, time.

sharpayvargas1

This is and example of negligence in the part of the police. If life is at risk, there's no excuse for not responding other than they are also saving someone's life at that very minute. It will be a very big insult if they will say that they they are too busy doing paper-works or attending a meeting. Are you sure that you remember it right that they mentioned the line "We had better things to do"? Because come on, is there anything more important that a person's life?

GemmaRowlands

This is a terrible thing to happen, and I am so sorry that it has happened to you. A lot of the time, the police have so little time to do anything that they have to make very difficult and fast decisions about which reports they should follow up, but the unfortunate thing is that sometime they don't make the right decision, and this can lead to people being badly harmed as in your case. They should have attending to the call and been there for your mother, and I do hope that you let them know just how badly this has affected you so that they can put things into place for the future to make sure that this type of thing doesn't continue to happen.

LuckyGirl08

Yes I am sure. My mother called me right after she called the police and she told me what they had told her. The police couldn't have been to busy because it happen around 1am on a Monday morning. If it would have happen during the weekend then I would understand because a lot of things happen on weekends here. Usually if the county police is busy then they will send the city police.

During the 4th of July that same year they did not have any problem coming out when my father called complaining that the man that hit my mom was on the pond levee beside our house shooting and there was children outside. Police in Belzoni, MS is just screwed up and they never do what they need to do.