Sleeping in the daytime

As a police officer working at night and sleeping during the day, what works best for you to block out light and sound when you're trying to sleep?

Ricardo187

I guess since you've been working all night so you'll be really sleepy. Blocking light with the window blinds, perhaps a face mask and ear plugs would work perfectly.

bala

For a normal person,closing the doors and keeping ear plugs should suffice.If ever i work night shifts,i get my bedsheet on and listen to soft music to get some sleep and once i start sleeping,i will wake up only to the sound of the alarm,nothing else.
Some place isolated should do for a cop..!!

PhilA

I can sleep in the light and with noise, I am crazy like that. But having a black out blind or shutter instead of curtains is a must. Totally gives the effect of night time, this can make your brain think its night time and actually help you sleep.

askanison

I have always worked grave shift and I buy the drapes that are heavy and made just for blocking out sunlight. They are a bit more expensive than regular drapes or curtains, but they really do work. Working night shift can really screw up your social life to an extent, but I like having my days free to do what I want. You tend to just get sleep when and where you can.

Doulachic79

When I used to work the evening shift, I would turn up the AC because during the day, the sun will make everything warmer and I would sweat more. Then making sure I had complete darkness was important. Those two things helped.

wulfman

i worked at night for 6 months or so. it is not good for your health. human beings were made to wake in the morning and sleep at night. i quit for that reason .

Ricardo187

i worked at night for 6 months or so. it is not good for your health. human beings were made to wake in the morning and sleep at night. i quit for that reason .

Well, if you're able to correctly sleep the required hours for your body to rest during the day it won't be a problem for your health, just your normal routine that'll be messed up. Do you know of any negative effects of it?

Shawn

As a police officer working at night and sleeping during the day, what works best for you to block out light and sound when you're trying to sleep?

Now as a firefighter, I don't recommend this but I have done it so I can't be too against it, lol.

Lived in thise old house once where the attic was converted into a bed room, no windows at all. I was a daytime sleeper then and I got this wild hair to paint the walls completely black. No I am not a gothic or some sort of occult gang member, I basically wanted complete darkness and that is what I got! It was night time 24/7 in my bedroom and I had absolutely no problem falling asleep what so ever :)

Ricardo187

Now as a firefighter, I don't recommend this but I have done it so I can't be too against it, lol.

Lived in thise old house once where the attic was converted into a bed room, no windows at all. I was a daytime sleeper then and I got this wild hair to paint the walls completely black. No I am not a gothic or some sort of occult gang member, I basically wanted complete darkness and that is what I got! It was night time 24/7 in my bedroom and I had absolutely no problem falling asleep what so ever :)

Haha, that's a very good solution I must say. If it looks and sounds like night, it'll feel like night, specially because you're tired.

Shawn

Oh yeah and the no windows helped a lot with the sound part. That is the biggest thing, if you hear daytime sounds, you might not want to sleep.

Profit5500

If I were to have been working for long I would just go and cut off all the TV's and other things that are noisy. I would not use earplugs in case someone breaks in I would not be able to hear things.

lei

I tend to sleep in the daytime, so for me it'd be okay. The bad part of being a cop or having a job during the night is that in the day,while sleeping, your missing places that would be open . For example, I might go to sleep at 6AM and wake up at around 1PM. All that time I could have spent going somewhere.

Ricardo187

I tend to sleep in the daytime, so for me it'd be okay. The bad part of being a cop or having a job during the night is that in the day,while sleeping, your missing places that would be open . For example, I might go to sleep at 6AM and wake up at around 1PM. All that time I could have spent going somewhere.

That's true. It affects your family life as well and most of the times you either miss it or do extra effort and don't sleep as much as you should in order to be there.

Profit5500

I cannot sleep during the daytime its just not possible for me. I would stay up at night though and go to bed around 2:00am. Day time is just when I got to take care of the chores.