Very marketable

gett395

Hi everybody. I live in California, I'm currently in college and I'm pursuing a major in Computer Science with a minor in Spanish. I'm hoping that my minor in Spanish will make me very marketable once I get out there and apply to some police departments. In your experience do you feel that is true?

dchalke

Speaking spanish will certainly be a big plus, but it doesn't guarantee you a job. Make sure you are a well rounded applicant. Be in really great shape, stay out of trouble. Also do some volunteering and it's always good to do interning in some capacity.

I would think that being able to speak Spanish would be very attractive to any police force in a community where there are a lot of Spanish speaking residents. But as the other poster said, you can't just rest on those laurels. Make sure you are healthy and in good shape. Focus on improving the qualities that they are looking for in a cop. I am sure you could contact them and find out exactly what those are.

stevesxs9

Speaking Spanish would be a plus because of your ability to communicate, but the other physical and mental qualifications you need could vary. But the Department will inform you on the qualifications and the expectations of the Officer.

ReDGuNNeR

Speaking spanish is a plus but like others have said your physical health will be much more important. You stated a Computer Sci degree so I don't want to stereotype but I am from a technical field myself so I understand. Don't forget to exercise and maintain a consistent diet! Working in most computer science applications is nowhere near the physical capacity that any police officer position can maintain. Even working as a dispatcher is a high stress position and not just sitting near a desktop such as in IT/Comp Sci work.

JoshPosh

Banned
As other people have said already, knowing spanish is a plus, but is not a guarantee. Like any job knowing a different language does make you look more attractive to potential employers.

Teens In Crisis

"Very" marketable might be pushing it, but it's certainly a great quality to have, especially in your state. I would make sure that you can pass the rigorous testing and hiring practices, as well as stay in shape like everyone has pointed out. Probably wouldn't hurt to start buying study guides and things of that nature ahead of time.

Determined2014

It is true as long as you work in an area that is highly populated by spanish people, that way you can put it to use when you are needed to translate.