What age do you think is right for a child to receive a cell phone?

headmaster

Everywhere I look nowadays, there is a kid using a cellphone and the age seems to be growing younger by the day. What is your take on this?

dariel2323

If the child is responsible, serious, and use that phone with responsibility, in my opinion I think there are no problems. Then be able to receive one

bala

AS long as the child shows responsibility and maturity in handling these phones and other gadgets,they can be trusted with these.In general,the child is expected to differentiate between these after the age of 14,so giving them a phone after 14 would only do more good.it though depends on personal perspectives too.Some might give it a couple or years earlier..or later too.

nikkilsvgs

Cell phones are everywhere now. I think it all depends on maturity of the child and if they need to have one. My daughter is 10 and we just got her a cell phone for her birthday in July. She is very mature and has showed responsibility with her iPad. This year she is going to spending a lot more time after school with different after school activities she is in and she spends 2 hours or more every week at dance class. My husband and I both felt it was a piece of mind for us she have one in case we ran late picking her up or she needed something.

LuckyGirl08

I believe at the age of 7 or 8 a child should get their first phone. They will be at the age where they really know what is going on if something may happen. Now days, children younger that 7 knows how to fully operate a smart phone better than other people. I feel like they would be responsible enough for a phone.

Ricardo187

I think a kid should be given a cell phone when they need it. 10-12 years old seems to be OK now a days, since they have to go to school sometimes alone and need to communicate. It's not a wrong thing if they're taught how to use them and are well educated and raised.

Whitewolf2578

Well I was given a phone when I was like 17, I will probably make my children wait until that age. There is too many perverts out there and I don't want them being able to send nude photos to my children or some other bull like that. I have seen like five year olds with cellphones and I think "Well they are just open targets" Too easy to hack into someones phone these days just by knowing their number.

helaofthenorns

Cellphones are really important as communication tools. However, I think that children should be given cellphones when they reach 10 years old. That way, parents can check on them when they are out, and children can call or text their parents if they are going somewhere.

Kate

This really depends on the maturity level. I've known 10 and 11 year olds who would be mature enough to have a phone, but others the same age who are given phones and have them lost or broken in a week flat.

I also don't think that smart phones are necessary for kids. If parents use the excuse that it's for safety reasons, then a basic cell phone that makes *phone calls* without all the 'Net access and camera, etc. is what should be given to the kids.

sharpayvargas1

I received a cellphone when I was about to graduate high school. I know cellphones are important but I will have to consider first if I can afford the expenses for letting my child have his own cellphone. Because his bill will be in addition to my expense list. If I have money, maybe as young as 5 years age, I want him to have a cellphone with speed dial in case of emergency. But I don't want him to be addicted will cellphones.

Nevi

I think the parents should be cautious on this matter. In my opinion if I have a son or daughter, I would probably wait for them to reach a certain age that they will be matured enough to handle a phone, probably fourteen or fifteen, provided would follow a rule, conditions, limitations and meet halfway with the parents.

Muthoni

I guess that I am very old fashioned and would prefer my child to have a cell phone when they are at least 15 years old. The cell phone is to be used in case they need to reach me or get access to something important. There will be a limit on how much they can use their cell phone after all their chores and school work is done.

PriscillaKing

Do youall think the payment plan makes a difference? If I gave a child a cell phone, it would have prepaid minutes. Seeing even a half-minute call eat up his money is a good way to teach the kid that the phone is for emergencies, not for sending pictures to friends.

tanker

Depends on the maturity of the child, some 12 year olds are very mature, some adults are less mature then many 12 year olds I know. Probably a lot of adults should not be allowed cellphones or access to social media. There was that fellow who was calling 911 asking for dates, and he was an adult. So probably even a child knows you should not call 911 for that.

So it depends on the maturity of the child.

missbishi

I agree that it depends onthe maturity of the child. If they can be trusted not to damage the phone, or to waste all their credit then why not? Don't forget that there are apps available which prevent children from accessing questionable content on their smartphone.

TonyMHFan

I'd give a phone to a kid sometime around 10-13. Not an iPhone, probably only a little straight talk phone to start them off. It's a very handy communication tool to have, so of course I'd want them to have one. I don't really see the need to be giving them anything expensive and high end though, they're kids, this stuff is going to get lost, broken, or stolen.

Kim1414

Depends on the maturity of the child. I think a child as young as 9 can have a basic cell phone especially if they will be alone at home or having to walk home alone. Being able to reach your child during the day when they are away from you is priceless for a parent. A basic flip phone for younger kids is all they need to call 911 or call their parents. A child should not be given a smartphone until they are about 16 or so. They don't need it and the parents will have to pay for the data plan. Also a younger child then 16 with a smartphone is just asking to have the phone stolen or lost. At 16 they can be responsible enough to not loose it or download things they should not.

JohnBrock

I think I would give my kids their first phone fairly early (I'm thinking 8-10) but give them one with no access to the internet, and with my number on speed dial. Of course it depends on the maturity of my children at that age, but generally speaking I would like to be able to contact them easily

Gabe

Most children know how to use a cellphone even if they don't have one. A lot depends on the circumstances, if the child gets the bus to and from school, a phone would be useful if the bus was late, or to tell the parents they missed the bus. For children that have different people picking them up it's important too, so they can relay that information to the child. I know when I have been to pick up my cousin's son, she has to inform them who will pick him up. A phone doesn't need to have any gadgets on it, so the more basic the better, which is why they should still make basic models which I know many companies shy away from these days.

donnalynn47

I think it's a good thing to allow a child to have a cell phone with parental controls of course. This day in age children need that extra layer of protection especially if they are walking or waiting some where alone.