What are offenses or crimes an officer "can" commit before he's removed from duty?

Riggy

I've heard many stories of police officers committing crimes or offenses and they aren't punished. Is it known what is a definite action that will have them removed?

Gelsemium

Re: What are offenses or crimes an officer "can" commit before he's removed from duty

This is a good question. As far as I am concerned a crime is a crime, so no one is above the law, a police officer above all because they should be enforcing law.

GemmaRowlands

Re: What are offenses or crimes an officer "can" commit before he's removed from duty

It's not just about the crime that has been committed, it is all about the context, the intent, the consequences, and much more. You might find that an individual does something that is technically a crime, but this would not affect their ability to be a police officer, for example. Also there may be some need for rule breaking on the job to make them as effective as possible, for example speeding and acceptable violence, but this can be very discretionary and under the decision of the head of department.

Peninha

Yeah, it's a complex situation and depends pretty much on the intention of commiting the crime and the hierarchy of the police, his/her boss I mean.

bala

I mean this never struck me and has me on tenterhooks.No idea at all.
He can commit all the wrongs if he needs to,because since it is a certainty,he can do anything,maybe even poop on his boss's head..:p

joshua minaya

The fact that an individual is a police officer does not make him or her immune from the law and so if an officer is found guilty under the law then it is possible that he or she may be dismissed from the force that is just the way it is.

Riggy

The fact that an individual is a police officer does not make him or her immune from the law and so if an officer is found guilty under the law then it is possible that he or she may be dismissed from the force that is just the way it is.

But what if he broke the law that did not endanger anyone in order to prevent a crime. Be it serious or minor? What if he broke a law that allowed someone to live?

Profit5500

Well some officers think they are invincible while in uniform. I would say some get away with murder but it just depends extent of the crime to which they are removed. It is just a case of some being lucky and some are not.

Gelsemium

I like to think that those cases you mention are exceptions, IMO a police officer should never forget he's serving society and not the opposite.

Riggy

Very good points being made, I have to agree with them all. Keep them coming!

JoshPosh

Banned

I've heard many stories of police officers committing crimes or offenses and they aren't punished. Is it known what is a definite action that will have them removed?

Back in Hawaii my family was involved in a incident and the police were called in. There was an altercation that happened between an off duty cop and my brother in law. It was so bad that we made a formal complaint and internal affairs was brought in to investigate. This was the 2nd incident that this officer was involved in and it was explained to us that us that after 3 strikes you are removed from the police department.

So for all of you that feel that they been unjustly treated by a police officer, take down the time of day, witnesses, badge number and so forth. Call in the commissioner and be ready to file charges. Police officers are civil servents and they work for us. Do not let them harrass you or let them push you aroound. They are not untouchable.

Profit5500

Back in Hawaii my family was involved in a incident and the police were called in. There was an altercation that happened between an off duty cop and my brother in law. It was so bad that we made a formal complaint and internal affairs was brought in to investigate. This was the 2nd incident that this officer was involved in and it was explained to us that us that after 3 strikes you are removed from the police department.

So for all of you that feel that they been unjustly treated by a police officer, take down the time of day, witnesses, badge number and so forth. Call in the commissioner and be ready to file charges. Police officers are civil servents and they work for us. Do not let them harrass you or let them push you aroound. They are not untouchable.
How did things go after this officers' second strike? If they would give three strikes for an officer who commits a crime I would assume that it would depend on the matter.

LongShot

We can all sit here and say no one is immune to the law. Though, the simple fact is that Police look out for each other regardless. You can see countless times on video where a cop is beating a innocent person. His partner is just standing their baffled and just trying to get the guy down to end whatever is happening. The simple fact is if one of them look back then all of them will look bad. There are plenty of times were a cop has broken the law and got off with nothing but a slap on the wrist.

Profit5500

We can all sit here and say no one is immune to the law. Though, the simple fact is that Police look out for each other regardless. You can see countless times on video where a cop is beating a innocent person. His partner is just standing their baffled and just trying to get the guy down to end whatever is happening. The simple fact is if one of them look back then all of them will look bad. There are plenty of times were a cop has broken the law and got off with nothing but a slap on the wrist.
Like with that incident with that CHP officer who was beating this woman down and the partner swoops in to cuff her without question. Makes me wonder what is going through their minds when this stuff happens. I have not seen one vid of a police brutality incident where the officers are fighting each other.

Determined2014

I believe that it depends on the detail of the crime according to their laws, it also depends on how the crime happened, it could be in self defence, so it all depends on the detail of the crime.

ic3squid

The thing is, situations where a police officer commits a crime can be very complex. Sometimes it depends on luck, a boss might turn a blind eye on something. Other times, when valid evidence has been given they aren't lucky and ending up being fired and/or thrown into jail.

primalclaws1974

Almost without a doubt most police offers edge outside the law on occasion. Who is going to hold them accountable for minor offenses? A perfect example of this is how often police speed when driving in a non-emergency situation. police cruiser pass me constantly, when I am doing the speed limit. Is it a major offense? Of course not, but I could not get away with doing it as a civilian. I think that police should hold themselves to a higher standard. What do you think?

Rocky55119

I do not believe they are above the law, but some things can make them immune. Such as the "Use of Deadly Force" act that if a Police Officer is properly trained, can use according to state regulations.

A police officer could kill a criminal if the officer's life is endangered for example, but can't just kill someone because they want to. But then other people who are trusted by the state can have these too, such as government agents.

Kamarsun1

Well the law is for everyone to uphold and especially police. I'm sure there are lower level crimes that might not end a cops jobs, but even a lower level crime repeated over and over could lead to problems for a cop.

shilpa123

The offences can be quite minor to major ones. It all depends on the circumstances. I do believe that a police should be very highly responsible for all that they do.