What are offenses or crimes an officer "can" commit before he's removed from duty?

OMGnoWAY

Re: What are offenses or crimes an officer "can" commit before he's removed from duty

I think it's ridiculous that officers get 3 "strikes" before anything happens to them, but us average citizens get thrown in jail after the first "strike".

Police should not be immune to the law. I understand that it is a very stressful job, but if that's their excuse then why isn't ANYONE who has a stressful job or a stressful life given 3 strikes? It's just obvious they're all in a little "club" together and they care more about that than the actual laws.

tanker

Re: What are offenses or crimes an officer "can" commit before he's removed from duty

Legally speaking there are no criminal offenses a police officer can commit, and any violation can have him terminated and criminally charged. Saying that with police usually drinking and driving is a serious problem. Since police officers are ussually pulled over by other police officers, they usually cut each other some slack. If it becomes a regular issue, then action is taken. But often police can get away with thier offenses till an actual accident takes place.

Gabe

They are subject to the same laws as everyone else. Perhaps they can get away with a speeding ticket like some people do, but generally they shouldn't. The standard is higher which is why they have internal affairs and also police therapists. I do think drinking is an issue for many so being an alcoholic isn't a crime, but it can lead to others like drunk driving or being incapacitated on duty, which are offenses.

Gelsemium

The fact is that for an officer to be removed from duty he has to do something serious and a proper process needs to be instructed, it's not something done lightly.

JoanMcWench

I think it's ridiculous that officers get 3 "strikes" before anything happens to them, but us average citizens get thrown in jail after the first "strike".

Police should not be immune to the law. I understand that it is a very stressful job, but if that's their excuse then why isn't ANYONE who has a stressful job or a stressful life given 3 strikes? It's just obvious they're all in a little "club" together and they care more about that than the actual laws.

What country are you from? I'm in the states & have lived in the UK as well as Canada & none of these places have anything similar to a 3 strike rule. There is a brotherhood which find a tad dangerous because it may cause officers to keep information off the books when police officers have committed small crimes. However, as was mentioned, if you commit a crime you are meant to be prosecuted & lose you job (as well as benefits).

Clairelouise84

That is a good question and one I have thought about many times, I personally don't believe that officers should be allowed to break the law in any way as what is the point of a law enforcer that does not abide by the law. It would be like a firefighter saying that they are allowed to start fires as they put so many out. I get that for the greater good they may need to stretch the truth and put a positive spin on things sometimes, but breaking the law is a different kettle of fish altogether.

OMGnoWAY

It's complex but I will say a couple things about it:
1. getting arrested is not the same as being convicted, so most cops will not be fired unless they are convicted
2. misdemeanors and felonies are obviously treated very differently. Cops are much more likely to get fired for a felony conviction than for a misdemeanor conviction.