What are your opinions on the ice bucket challenge?

dariel2323

I understand it's a way to raise awareness to ALS and to raise funds for the cause but, don't you think it's a waste of clean water, specially when parts of the world are in droughts? Is there be a better, less wasteful yet still fun way to raise awareness?

True2marie

I think the Ice Bucket Challenge is okay. It's cheaper than wasting money on a big fancy party where people spend $2000 a plate. Also, seeing celebrities dunk themselves with freezing cold water is hilarious.

dannybuntu

I understand it's a way to raise awareness to ALS and to raise funds for the cause but, don't you think it's a waste of clean water, specially when parts of the world are in droughts? Is there be a better, less wasteful yet still fun way to raise awareness?

No, I don't think it's a waste of water but I do think that the disease is not really a priority. Of course, from a humanitarian perspective, any disease should be studied for the purposes of science. The most famous personality that I know who has the disease is Stephen Hawking. People waste more water for other not so important reasons.

One of them is using the hose to clean their cars when they could just use a bucket of water and a rug. (Yeah, I've done it before and it is entirely possible).

I think the people who are criticizing the ALS bucket challenge just want to say something that doesn't really change things. The people who do the challenge not only raised awareness but also got a lot of funding for research.

davidj96

I believe that the ice bucket challenge is an excellent way to raise money for different causes. I've already witnessed some of my friends take on the action of participating in the challenge after donating, and I must say that it looks pretty cool, and refreshing. My ROTC instructor would like for our platoon to be the first to participate in the challenge on live television next month, so we'll see how that goes!

Muthoni

I think it is a great way to help those living with this health condition. Even if this water is saved, it cannot be transported to the regions experiencing drought. I used to wonder why the sea could not be tapped to help the dry regions in my nation. The Ice bucket is a great way of humanity uniting for a common good.

stevesxs9

No it's not a waste of water as long as it's beneficial and for worthy cause. ALS has been around a long time and research into this deadly disease along with other diseases are vital and any kind of support is appreciated.

KrustyKrabella

I think it's a fun way to bring awareness to a disease that needed more awareness. It certainly did what it was intended to do, so I think it was a pretty successful campaign :)

kaitheteen

Very bad idea in California. We are in a huge drought and this doesn't help at all. Raising awareness is great, but there really isn't enough water here.

helaofthenorns

Ideally, the Ice Bucket Challenge is a good thing. Before it became viral, I had no idea what ALS is and what it does to people. However, the bad thing about it is that we don't really know where the funds are going. Working for the government, I know that just because something is labeled as "donation" doesn't mean that it will be donated to those in need.

nikkilsvgs

I think the ice bucket challenge to raise awareness is a great idea. Everyone can get involved. My 10 year old got nominated and she stepped up and did it. So it is not only raising awareness for adults but children of all ages as well. Kids need to be aware the different conditions that are out there so they are a part of the solution and not the problem. :rolleyes:

Whitewolf2578

Well I do understand about the drought thing, because a lot of places are in drought. Not sure why this raises awareness though. Dumping ice water on your head for the cause? Lol come on. How to be dumb you mean.

Nevi

The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is a good campaign to raise awareness of a medical condition called ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). All Campaigns have their own "gimmick" to spread information and go viral and This is also to give big support to the people who suffer this horrible condition.

Jokester050288

That ice bucket challenge was stupid and dumb. Why would anybody want to pour freezing cold buckets of water on themselves. I think its a waste of water and ice. That clean water could have been given to a homeless person.

LuckyGirl08

I do not think that it is a waste of water if it is raising money for ALS. The only way that I see it as a waste of water is if people are just doing it for fun, just to get likes and comments on Facebook. The whole ice bucket challenge started out for charity, but now there are so many people that are doing it and do not if know the real reason for it.

oraclemay

I am all for raising money and awareness, but this is hardly harmless. There have been reports of people having a heart attack during this. I don't think it is a good idea anymore.

PhilA

It seems to have gotten out of hand and people have forgotten why they are doing it in my opinion. It is kinda fun, especially if you have seen any of the fails. :)