What kind of illnesses automatically disqualify a person from becoming a cop?

True2marie

I have always heard being flat footed prevents disqualifies males and females from joining the military. Is this also true of police officers? Or, can a person who enjoys law and order still work in a police department with certain illnesses, but in lesser positions?

PhilA

I think there is a general disclaimer that says, if you have any conditions that may interfere with you performing the tasks required, they reserve the right to deny you.

It is kind of a legal cover to stop any future libel cases and such.

bala

If you looking at a list,then it is impossible to find one because the cops have it changing from time to time.If any illness prevents you from working at your normal pace and time then you are automatically disqualified.When you undergo the medical tests you automatically are scanned thoroughly and if any disease,will be revealed.

Profit5500

I don't know what exact illnesses disqualifies you from being a cop. Your best bet is to ask a police consultant or someone who works as a police officer. If you are in good shape you should be okay just make certain you are in good health before applying.

stevesxs9

I have heard that a condition called OCD-Obssesive Compulsive Disorder may disqualify a person from becoming a LEO. OCD is an anxiety disorder and police work is a high stress occupation which could possibly disqualify an applicant.

GemmaRowlands

I have never heard about being flat footed being an issue, however when you think about it, it does make a lot of sense, because if you're not able to do what is needed to do the job, you shouldn't have the role. Being a police officer is about being able to protect people, and if you're not able to do that then it is not safe for you to do it at all. I know that you do have to pass a lot of fitness tests in order to be accepted, so these are vital if you want to do the job to the best of your ability.