Why do cops tailgate speeding drivers to "provoke" them to speed more?

Ricardo187

At Portugal it's very common that undercover traffic units tailgate speeding drivers in order to "challenge" them into speeding even more, so they can write higher tickets and hand bigger punishments. The other day, one was caught at 160kmph, the cops pushed him until 230kmph, and it only stopped at that speed because there was a car in-front.

Does it happen in the USA too? Why? Isn't it less dangerous to immediately pull him over? I mean, the limit is 120 so 160 is already over.

Profit5500

Some cops do that in the US to intimidate drivers into speeding even more. Some of them just want to have that money from those citations. I think this is in every country.

wulfman

never heard of the cops trying to get the speeders to go faster. usually just flag them down .

bala

It isn't like that in here and moreover the cars here surely can't cross even that 150 kmph mark because the road conditions don't permit too_Oh and talking about speeding.I would say,they do it to intimidate him and get more from those citations.

ciorex

More than likely, they're not paying a bit of attention to you. If an officer has followed you that many times trying to find a reason to stop you, they would have stopped you by now. Most drivers can't drive more than a quarter mile without giving an officer probable cause to stop.

So, next time you look in your mirror and see an officer "tailgating" you, they're probably trying to get to the domestic in progress that he just got sent on or some other call that is pressing. Please make every effort to get out of thier way.

Of course you could be cynical and say that its a good way to earn some tricket money.

Ricardo187

More than likely, they're not paying a bit of attention to you. If an officer has followed you that many times trying to find a reason to stop you, they would have stopped you by now. Most drivers can't drive more than a quarter mile without giving an officer probable cause to stop.

So, next time you look in your mirror and see an officer "tailgating" you, they're probably trying to get to the domestic in progress that he just got sent on or some other call that is pressing. Please make every effort to get out of thier way.

Of course you could be cynical and say that its a good way to earn some tricket money.

Portuguese police did it on a TV interview(kind of ride along) and they was doing it on purpose, even admitted it when questioned.

P.S. How bad can roads be that you can't hit 150kmph? I can hit that speed and a lot more in normal country roads here, for the road condition, not the limit of-course.

Shawn

I disagree that its being used as a tactic to encourage speeding. In fact, if you ride on my rear end - I will either slow down 30 miles to annoy you or slam on my brakes and let you hit me and then sue your insurance because it will always be your fault... "I saw a kid and slammed on my brakes, etc. etc."

As for law enforcement getting on your tail, they need to get close to read your plates - not all of us have 20/20 vision you know. Plus they can stay on your tail and prevent others from getting in between you and them if they are right up there. You're going to notice a cop with their lights on directly behind you, probably a lot better than if they were car lengths behind you at that!

bala

I disagree that its being used as a tactic to encourage speeding. In fact, if you ride on my rear end - I will either slow down 30 miles to annoy you or slam on my brakes and let you hit me and then sue your insurance because it will always be your fault... "I saw a kid and slammed on my brakes, etc. etc."

As for law enforcement getting on your tail, they need to get close to read your plates - not all of us have 20/20 vision you know. Plus they can stay on your tail and prevent others from getting in between you and them if they are right up there. You're going to notice a cop with their lights on directly behind you, probably a lot better than if they were car lengths behind you at that!
Perfect sense.+1 to you,the vision part..How did i forget that..?
Now when they come close to us,we get scared and run on our heels often breaching certain marks,and that way,it is seen as encouraging to speed all the more and eventually at some instance or the other you get caught..for excess speeding..
Good work Shawn..:D

Ricardo187

Ergh, I just said they admitted the reason why they do it. They don't need to read the plates, at least at Portugal, as the cameras get it for them.

bala

Ergh, I just said they admitted the reason why they do it. They don't need to read the plates, at least at Portugal, as the cameras get it for them.
Do you really think there are cameras for the cops in India..? :p..Absolutely NO,a big NO
Well,that applies here,and that was the reason i could think of for them chasing us..:D

Shawn

Perfect sense.+1 to you,the vision part..How did i forget that..?
Now when they come close to us,we get scared and run on our heels often breaching certain marks,and that way,it is seen as encouraging to speed all the more and eventually at some instance or the other you get caught..for excess speeding..
Good work Shawn..:D

In all honesty, I mess with them when they are behind me. I'll start going over the line and increasing/decreasing my speeds to make it odd looking. They pull me over and find out everything is all normal, lol. Most of the time though, I know them and they know me and its all fun an games between the both of us. Cops are not scary... they shouldn't be either. Cops are here to help you, but they have a job to do.

Kate

Does it happen in the USA too? Why? Isn't it less dangerous to immediately pull him over? I mean, the limit is 120 so 160 is already over.

Nah, I don't really think it happens here in the U.S. very much. It would make no sense to force someone to drive faster to "get more ticket money" because if they want more ticket money, they'll just wait for someone going faster and stop *them!!*

I'd say it's more like drivers just think they're being tailed because they know they were doing a naughty and freak out because a police car is behind them. I've seen it sooooo often. THEN they freak out more and start going UNDER the speed limit, which *does* make them look suspicious. :D

Kate

In all honesty, I mess with them when they are behind me. I'll start going over the line and increasing/decreasing my speeds to make it odd looking. They pull me over and find out everything is all normal, lol. Most of the time though, I know them and they know me and its all fun an games between the both of us. Cops are not scary... they shouldn't be either. Cops are here to help you, but they have a job to do.

Don't forget to go under the speed limit, too, Shawn... oh, and turn off onto roads and driveways that no one ever uses. That'll be a sure way to be pulled over. :)

No, officers are not scary... unless someone has a reason to not want to be anywhere near them... those people stick out like a sore thumb and look suspicious. Self-fulfilled prophecy!

PhilA

In the UK Cops actually have targets set to them for how many speeding cars they need to book, so they have to make sure they are catching enough. This might be a reason why it happens. But, they also need to follow you to get a record of your speed over a long duration.

It's not right though.

Shawn

Ticket Quotas^

It is a big topic over in my parts. They are trying to outlaw them altogether and most local departments agree with it. I don't think ticket quotas are good for community policing. It basically tells the community that the police need to meet a certain number of tickets and that they will do what they got to do to get them.

bala

I envy you for all this..for all the rapport you have built up.
Arrgh,i get pulled up by the cop at the end of my road.That silly arse will hide behind a SUV and then chase my ass when he sees me.
That is pretty funny..D :D..are you a known badass driver or what.? :p,just asking..:D

Ricardo187

Nah, I don't really think it happens here in the U.S. very much. It would make no sense to force someone to drive faster to "get more ticket money" because if they want more ticket money, they'll just wait for someone going faster and stop *them!!*

I'd say it's more like drivers just think they're being tailed because they know they were doing a naughty and freak out because a police car is behind them. I've seen it sooooo often. THEN they freak out more and start going UNDER the speed limit, which *does* make them look suspicious. :D

I clearly said unmarked vehicles, else, why would the drivers go even faster? They tailgate and most drivers usually go faster to show they can go faster than the one tailgating, and that's when they stop you at a high speed.

Kate

I clearly said unmarked vehicles, else, why would the drivers go even faster? They tailgate and most drivers usually go faster to show they can go faster than the one tailgating, and that's when they stop you at a high speed.

Uh... you can't tell which unmarked cars are police? There *are* ways to tell, ya know. Maybe it's not the same in your country? I'm stubborn enough that if someone tries to make me go faster, I'll slow down. Don't like being pushed around... nope, not at all.

Profit5500

Some cops you cannot joke with and get away from it. Since you know the ones in your area its legit for you. I don't know the cops in my area but I don't like them either.

Ricardo187

Uh... you can't tell which unmarked cars are police? There *are* ways to tell, ya know. Maybe it's not the same in your country? I'm stubborn enough that if someone tries to make me go faster, I'll slow down. Don't like being pushed around... nope, not at all.

I'm stubborn enough to go faster, kind of the same way of thinking but different action. Either way, in the urge of the moment you sometimes don't check for cameras, different plates or even uniforms inside.