Would this effect your chances of becoming a cop?

Lexi

My cousin wants to become a cop - it is all that he talks about. One thing that he mentioned before was how he hates being related to certain people in our family because, he feels that it will effect his chances of becoming a cop.

If a few people in your family have a history of drug-use and getting in trouble with the law, would that effect your own ability to become a cop?

We have a couple uncles that don't quite live legally. We don't even talk to them.

PhilA

I would have to say absolutely not, you are responsible for yourself, not others.

bala

Are we discussing about the comparisons here.? It happens in almost all aspects,and it only makes us loath that person.We as humans will hate being referred to or compared to another person right.?.
It surely will affect his performance because they will never have their eyes completely on this.At the back of their minds,this will keep on lingering.

Lexi

My cousin thinks that it will make it more difficult to get accepted into the police force. I don't see how another person that you don't communicate with but, are related to, could make a difference.
He's paranoid about it. If he has nothing to worry about, then I'm going to tell him to quit making excuses. After all, for the amount he's talked about becoming a cop, he has yet to even attempt to become one.

From my perspective, being a cop does not sound so great. I am a strong believer in doing what makes you happy. That is the way to succeed - find a career that you love. If you love your job, then working becomes easy. You will want to work. You will be on a good path to succeed.

I should note that a few years ago I remember my cousin saying how he wanted to go to jail just to say he has been there. Maybe this "becoming a cop" idea is another one his ideas that likely won't become reality.

GemmaRowlands

You should not be viewed as any differently to anybody else just because you have certain members in your family. You need to be realistic as well though - for example do you think that your job might put you or your family at risk because of things that they have done in the past? You need to take care with your choices, but you should find that as long as you're just as able to do a job as other people, you should be judged as such.

Ricardo187

I don't honestly think it'll make any difference. Of-course there are background checks but you are not responsible for your family members, so, unless you are involved in a crime with them and have been charged for it, you won't have problems. I wouldn't hang around them still, though. It might bring suspicions or even who knows, make you be in the wrong place at the wrong time. If they live illegally, they have enemies and who knows one of them passes by, attacks them, they kill him and you're involved for being there? It's complicated.

Lexi

You should not be viewed as any differently to anybody else just because you have certain members in your family. You need to be realistic as well though - for example do you think that your job might put you or your family at risk because of things that they have done in the past? You need to take care with your choices, but you should find that as long as you're just as able to do a job as other people, you should be judged as such.

I really don't think anyone would be at risk. I was just curious because, it was something my cousin has said more then once - "I hate having crack heads as relatives, it's going to f**k up my chances of becoming a cop".

From my point of view, I never thought it would. But, thought it would be something to ask. Now I can tell him to stop making excuses, considering he has done nothing but talk about becoming a cop. I don't think he really wants to be one.

KrustyKrabella

I don't know for sure, to be honest. All I have is second hand information. But I was told all the time when I was growing up that one of my family members was rejected by the FBI for employment because of some of the crimes another family member had committed years ago. Something about the government background test and just being associated with people with certain crimes can get you blacklisted.

Lin

I personally would become a cop just in order to lock them up. I can't say I hate any of my family members, but I hate the outlawed lifestyle and in enforcing law, I don't believe in partiality. I don't believe the above outlined circumstance would affect your cousin's chance of becoming a cop.

milyjohnson

I don't think it will affect your cousin's chances of becoming a cop. What your family does should have no reflection on him. Unless they are doing a background check on his family, he should be able to become a cop. Good luck to your cousin and I hope he is able to fulfill his dream.

DancingLady

It shouldn't. He is not responsible for the actions of his adult family members, or minors that are not his own children. We can't control our families, so no one is going to hold the actions of another person against him just because they happen to be relatives.