Are police officers allowed to get second jobs?

True2marie

These days, making ends meet isn't always easy. I don't know what police officers make, but I imagine at times they might want to bring in more income. If so, are they allowed to take a second job as long as it doesn't interfere with their work.

Profit5500

This depends on where you are and what rank you are positioned. Most of the officers in the town I am in make around $45,000 a year. I found out that the Stanislaus County Deputies make around $60,000 a year. I believe cops in LA could make around $75,000 a year depending on education level and years in the force. Education and experience is what would effect your salary anywhere.

bala

I don't see a reason why they shouldn't take up a job if that isn't affecting their schedule.If they go off-duty,then he/she is just a normal human being and a general public,so yes,np with that.
Apart from that,he can get to make some extra bucks to support his family,which surely is a good option.

Ricardo187

As long as it doesn't affect their schedule, they're probably allowed to do so, but being a police officer is a full-time job so I'm unsure if you have much time left to work somewhere else.

True2marie

This depends on where you are and what rank you are positioned. Most of the officers in the town I am in make around $45,000 a year. I found out that the Stanislaus County Deputies make around $60,000 a year. I believe cops in LA could make around $75,000 a year depending on education level and years in the force. Education and experience is what would effect your salary anywhere.

Wow. What a wide range in salaries. So, I guess you may want to take a second job at $45,000 a year depending on the size of your family and lifestyle.

davidj96

These days, making ends meet isn't always easy. I don't know what police officers make, but I imagine at times they might want to bring in more income. If so, are they allowed to take a second job as long as it doesn't interfere with their work.
I've always wondered the answer to this very question, considering I'd like to be a cop one day but still be able to serve in the Marine reserves. Would this be possible, or is it prohibited? I think it may be prohibited just because they're both government careers, but it'd sure be nice to know though. If anyone can answer this I'd greatly appreciate it!

Muthoni

Where I come from a police officer has a full time job. Most of the officers live in a camp away from the general public. I think a police officer can have a second job if it can be done without being noticed. They take a commitment to service the public with their might without other distractions that can be caused by having a second job.

stevesxs9

It also depends on if they don't overdo it. I recently seen where in Virginia an officer was holding down 3 jobs including his main one. First he was Chief of Police in Southampton County. Secondly he was captain with the Waverly Police department in Sussex county. And thirdly he was a drug-investigations supervisor in Northampton county Sheriff's office in North Carolina. The Virginia State Police are investigating Davis' work schedule to determine whether he obtained money last year by false pretense, according to a search-warrant affidavit filed this month in Chesapeake Circuit Court. In a case like this, one or two of those jobs will suffer.

GemmaRowlands

It is important that, whatever you choose to do, you are not affecting your ability to perform in any of your other jobs. So for example if you chose to take on a second job that meant that you were not sufficiently rested for the first one then this might be a problem, however if you could comfortably do both at the same time then that would be much more acceptable. I doubt you would find anywhere that has a hard and fast rule, as long as you are able to do the job that they are hiring you for.