Can I get arrested if I ask a cop "Do you want some pot?"

Dunkel

I know that it seems like a really stupid question. I was watching this prank video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBKfICSIgR0

around 2:47, the pranker goes and ask a police officer if they want pot and after a while he shows them a cooking pot.

The Police officer tells him to "go away as he can put him in jail him for just asking him that question".

So my question is: Can the police officer arresting him? How do you deal with pranksters?

PhilA

I have seen this video and a couple similar before. I think it's pretty stupid as a prank and can wind up getting the kids in trouble. There is some kind of public order offence I am sure.

Kate

The Police officer tells him to "go away as he can put him in jail him for just asking him that question". So my question is: Can the police officer arresting him? How do you deal with pranksters?

Legally... I have no idea. Morally, I'd haul his sorry carcass in for wasting my time on foolishness that I could have been using to do something else that was serious.

See here's what I'd use... I would fill out a report saying that he pulled the cooking pot out AFTER I said I don't want pot, but he most likely would have told me where to get the drug kind if I'd said yes. My word against his... he loses.

Bribing an officer... trying to corrupt an officer... baiting... no idea what it would be called, but I'd sure try to make certain he got the message that juvenile stunts like that aren't very wise.

Profit5500

I don't think its a wise idea to ask a cop which they are not too fond of drugs if they want some pot. This prankster could have been arrested if the cop was in a really bad mood and wanted to abuse his authority. He got a lucky warning which things could have been worse.

Ricardo187

I guess they could detain him and frisk him, and possibly bring him to station or something like that, if they want to be asses with him. If it's a prank and the prankster apologies and shows the cameras afterwards, I think they should just be good sports like everyone else.

askanison

I imagine it would depend on the mood and demeanor of the officer being asked. Most would laugh at the joke and say very funny. You find one that is mean I can imagine they would make an example of you and arrest you for intention to distribute an illegal substance just to hassle you and be a huge douche.

bala

Drat..I can't find a way to link this with a quote,but yes,you can get arrested,if you seriously ask him about it,but if you tell him it was a prank and they were just kidding all along,they can be let scot free.
It sure ins't wise to ask a cop about it.Why would i willingly want to buy trouble..?

lei

I am not quiet sure. I mean asking doesn't mean that you have pot. Unless they have proof that you had pot or you showed them or seriously asked them... I don't think they can really do anything about it. Aren't people free to ask anything they want (for the most part) ?

bala

I am not quiet sure. I mean asking doesn't mean that you have pot. Unless they have proof that you had pot or you showed them or seriously asked them... I don't think they can really do anything about it. Aren't people free to ask anything they want (for the most part) ?
That is the question here dude..Re read it..
It is like,you walk up to them,deliberately ask them for it.It is like "deliberately" walking into a trap.
and one more,would you do it..? or would shy away from stuff like these.
I would do it just for the thrill of it. :D :D

Ricardo187

After all you're not making them lose their time unless you park up your car in the middle of the road, block them from continuing a pursuit and ask them. If they're just randomly patrolling on foot, it's even breaking the routine, can't be taken bad, or at least it shouldn't.

wulfman

They would probably do a search as Ricardo said. Frisk ya. But I don't think they can arrest you if you aren't holding.

Marishu

I think you can because as a police office they have to suspect everyone so you can get in trouble by doing if you go to far and to you to custody just for a stupid prank that the police have to go through and don't have time to fool around.

milyjohnson

I don't think it's a good idea to offer pot to a cop. They may not take it as a joke and end up arresting you for it. If the cop is in a good mood, then it wouldn't be a problem. One day, they may encounter a cops who has no sense of humor.

AlexF15

I'd imagine you could be, but I wouldn't actually know. I've seen so many prank videos like that, where they think they're funny for pranking people, then they decide to do it to a cop. I would never do it, but that's just me. If you want to try it, go ahead and tell us what happens.:p