Cops aren't like they used to be.

JudyCap

HI. My name is Judy, I am from North Idaho. My Dad was a police officer most of his working life. It makes me so mad when someone calls a cop a pig. I have told my son he should be ashamed of himself as you just called your Gramp a pig. He shut his mouth. I never heard him say that again.

I can remember years ago when My Dad, or some of the officers he worked with would catch someone drunk driving, or getting ready to. They would take their keys away from them, and give them a ride home~told them to come and get your keys tomorrow. Now adays you are not going to find that- or if you do, it is really rare. They are so gung ho to make an arrest it isn't even funny. Around this area that I live, there have been several officer involved shootings. There were a couple of them I think could have been handled differntly. But most were more than likely justified. You are going to hear all kinds of rumors I know it has to be hard on the Cop that was involved- I am sure they are wishing it hadn't happended.
They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. There are a few cops around CDA Idaho that need to grow up some before they put the badge on. People put a lable on all of them, like one bad apple in the barrel spoils them all. I know there are some good ones, they have a tough job.

wulfman

Some cops definitely abuse their power having a badge and a gun. I remember when there were a couple of cases where women were pulled over and asked to take off their clothes and strip .
The couple of times I've had my run in with a cop they were pretty good to me . But I'm a white male :)

JudyCap

Some cops definitely abuse their power having a badge and a gun. I remember when there were a couple of cases where women were pulled over and asked to take off their clothes and strip .
The couple of times I've had my run in with a cop they were pretty good to me . But I'm a white male :)

Yes it is pretty sad that race sometimes does make a difference in a traffic stop.

There is a case ongoing now here in CDA Idaho where there was a van that was similar to one that had been used in some crime. It was sitting near a sandwich place. The driver of the van had gone in to get a sandwich to go. In his van, was his Black Lab. The windows were rolled down, when the cop snuck up on van with his gun drawn, the Lab started barking at him. This idiot cop shot and killed the dog saying it was a vicious Pitt Bull! I think there is going to be a lawsuit over that one. My opinion of that cop is he was probably afraid of dogs to begin with. Anyone with half a brain should know, you go messing around a vehicle that has a dog in it, and the dog is going to bark and try and protect HIS rig.
I guess there has been death threats directed toward the CDA city police over it, I think the officer that was involved in it is on leave ~ also my opinion, it should be permanent leave as in fired!

askanison

I think police are viewed differently because of all that has happened over the years over a few bad cops. If you have done nothing wrong then why fear the police. Policemen are people, they make mistakes just like you do at your job. Only difference is lives are at stake. Every person is different, just like every cop is different. I have had many let me go with a warning and many give me a ticket over something i felt was minor and warranted a warning. But that is his job, to look at the situation and determine the proper action. As for the dog shooting, sounds tragic and could have been avoided but at the same time the officer was checking out a potential situation that he thought may be life threatening. When surprised i would think training would kick in and take over. That's what it is there for.

True2marie

I think the quality of a cop is effected by his training, location and fellow officers.

In my state (Washington), plenty of citizens complain about the local officers. Yet, I have had only good experiences when pulled over. Many times, I have been let go with only warning when the person stopping me could have given me a ticket.

Normally, my friends who hate local officers do so because they have illegal lifestyles. Its a reason why I have distanced myself from many of them. They go too far with their 'bad' behavior.

bala

yes,they do abuse their power.Their primary aim is to serve the people and make arrests on criminals.They seem to be doing the exact opposite.A friend of mine,who was driving a car full of drunks on new years eve got caught by the cops for drunken driving,despite the breath analyzer proving no traces.He hasn't tasted alcohol all his life and he was asked to bring his parents to take him away.
he got yelled at,as his parents were in the mindset that their son won't drink alcohol.
It became a ruckus...pity that poor guy.

grantcal

Whatever happen to the protect and serve of their MOTTO. I'll tell you, they will Try to protect you after the crime has already taken place and the Serve is how much Time you will Serve when you get pissed off when they really don't help you and take you to jail for Disorderly Person.

We are living in a POLICE STATE and whether you think it's helping you or not remember this.

Those who would give up Liberty for Safety Shall Have Neither

Edreid567

Police State. What are you talking about. Wait till there is wide spread Martial Law then you'll really know what a police state is all about. There is NO cop who can protect you. Isn't it funny when you need a cop you never see one.

askanison

There's a lot of hate going on in this post. I have always worked in the service industry and it is a standard that 10 people can have one great interaction and one bad one and they will always remember the bad over the good. I have had many good interactions with police and a few bad. So far one doesn't set the standard for the other. People in power can and will abuse that power, it is a fact of life. Not everyone will, so casting a wide blanket over every police officer and saying all police are bad is a bit unfair and sterotyping.

Profit5500

yes,they do abuse their power.Their primary aim is to serve the people and make arrests on criminals.They seem to be doing the exact opposite.A friend of mine,who was driving a car full of drunks on new years eve got caught by the cops for drunken driving,despite the breath analyzer proving no traces.He hasn't tasted alcohol all his life and he was asked to bring his parents to take him away.
he got yelled at,as his parents were in the mindset that their son won't drink alcohol.
It became a ruckus...pity that poor guy.

I do feel like most police officers can just come over and treat the victim like a criminal. I just don't feel there are a lot of good police officers around. For those who are good cops keep being that way.

Doulachic79

Just like in any profession, you have your good and your bad. I know some amazing police officers, like the ones who helped me find my son when he was 6 and wandered away from me at the park and walked home! 10 cop cars came and combed the area. My son said when they found him that he was playing with his best friend across the street from our house. When I asked my son what happened and why he left, he said he didn't see me (I was behind him walking and a group of bicyclists and runners passed by)so he walked home. I was impressed he had that sort of memory. I was still so upset before we found him and the cops really comforted me.

Profit5500

Just like in any profession, you have your good and your bad. I know some amazing police officers, like the ones who helped me find my son when he was 6 and wandered away from me at the park and walked home! 10 cop cars came and combed the area. My son said when they found him that he was playing with his best friend across the street from our house. When I asked my son what happened and why he left, he said he didn't see me (I was behind him walking and a group of bicyclists and runners passed by)so he walked home. I was impressed he had that sort of memory. I was still so upset before we found him and the cops really comforted me.
That's cool that the cops did that for you being a concerned mother. The cops in my area are jerks and only care about finding drugs.

ic3squid

Well, there are some bad cops and good ones, the bad ones think they are kings because of their gun and badge, it seriously damages the reputation of the police. Luckily in the UK there's hardly any shootings with the police officers.

askanison

Well, there are some bad cops and good ones, the bad ones think they are kings because of their gun and badge, it seriously damages the reputation of the police. Luckily in the UK there's hardly any shootings with the police officers.

That is because it is generally public policy that officers should not be armed in the UK. There is a huge difference in the

UK and the US when it comes to gun laws and gun control. It's like apples and oranges. From what i understand the UK

has more knife attacks than shootings. Here anyone with no criminal record can buy and carry a gun depending on the

laws of the particular state they reside in.

Determined2014

Well I would like to say it is not just the cops who have changed, the society has also forced them to change, people have become more violent and unpredictable, so some times I beleive the cops try their best but they also take precautions, people have become tough, tso they also have to be tough.

Ricardo187

While some cops abuse their power, they also have to adapt to the current days and new dangers. Now-a-days, due to that label, they have a harder time being respected and enforcing the law, so sometimes they have to sound harsh. That's not an excuse to abuse anyway.

bradyjim86

I think most cops are in fear every time they pull someone over or go on any police call that this maybe the one that will cause this to be the last day on earth. It seems as if no one has any hesitation at all about shooting and killing a cop. The slightest move that you make that could appear as an aggressive motion and they will shoot you. I don't know what I would do in that situation and I don't really want to find out.

owenzw2

I think most cops are in fear every time they pull someone over or go on any police call that this maybe the one that will cause this to be the last day on earth. It seems as if no one has any hesitation at all about shooting and killing a cop. The slightest move that you make that could appear as an aggressive motion and they will shoot you. I don't know what I would do in that situation and I don't really want to find out.

Boy did you hit the nail on the head. Take a look at the most recent article Mendota Heights Police Officer Killed while making a traffic stop. This officer had 19 years on the job. Was it a lack of training, lack of tactical training or lack of situational awareness. I DON'T THINK SO. This is an A--hole who is blindsiding the officer. Before you know it, Officer's will be approaching your vehicle with guns drawn.

jfarlea

How sad you go out to work and never come home. They should've shot the suspect dead not just wounded where he shot the Mendota Heights Officer.

Profit5500

Being a police is a difficult and risky job. You are constantly working to make the place you are serving in a better place. You have all sorts of jerks who are there to make your life miserable. You have to show them that you are the better man in terms of maturity.