Cops aren't like they used to be.

ItsZiggy

I admit they don't have an easy job, nor does anyone want to be having to deal with them, but their a necessity in our modern society. However as cops have changed, so have the people they deal with who are much more aggressive and careless, so it isn't entirely their fault for the change in tactics and sometimes judgement calls that lead to violence or even loss of life.

JoanMcWench

There are a lot of issues on the table in this discussion. One that I do not believe was approached? Racial/Economical profiling. It's tough to watch video of a man in the South brandishing a gun and grabbing his crotch disrespectfully toward police being walked up to and consoled by police while watching the next video of an older black woman in a low income neighbourhood cooking on her porch being choked out by police. Tough for citizens AND law enforcement to watch.

babyleans

I'm sorry but i certainly don't agree with you. A cop's job is not to drive you home every time you get drunk. What lesson is learnt there? The person will just continue to do it.

kaitheteen

Manipulation of power always happens and it's a daily thing. When met with this much power, one can't help to inflate their own ego.

stevesxs9

Unfortunately a lot of things have changed, and most of them for the worst. Crime and a lack of respect for the law has always been a problem and it seems as though its a disconnect between the Police and the public, which is probably
because of the lack of trust on both sides.

sharpayvargas1

My father is a cop too. If there's anything that did not change about the police officers before and today, is that almost all of them are womanizers. The rest, I believe that they really changed a lot. Maybe we can put the blame on how the system works. As they live with one another, they have a big influence on each other so I might say, you will tend to do what most of the people you closely work with do. If you have your own principles in life, you can use them to avoid becoming an abusive tool of implementing the law.

Whitewolf2578

Yeah my father was a Police Officer too and I doubt cops these days had the work ethic that he had back in the days of working. I think modern day Cops are trying to play the "Dirty Hairy" aspect and really do abuse their power. Ah well though, there are still some good ones out there, mostly the older ones that actually know the ropes. It is the young cocky ones you need to watch out for.

PhilA

SO much red tape and procedures in today's life to make the job of cops more difficult in my opinion,

DancingLady

It's really unfortunate, the next town over from where I live has a terrible reputation for people getting ticketed when the officer obviously made it up or exaggerated just so they could get more revenue from the ticket. I have also heard lots of rumors about cops there being involved in selling drugs and other illegal activities. It makes me nervous, I don't have a reason to go there very often, but as a single young woman, it's hard to feel safe when there is a huge question about what the cops are up to, would they protect me or would they be the ones to actually harm or harass me?