Do officers suffer from post traumatic stress as a normal part of the job?

atuckerit

I think that I would start losing some of my humanity from being around criminals and dishonest people for a majority of my life if I worked with them all the time. It gets me down just meeting random mean people in stores or on the street when I am out with my kids.
Do you think that police officers suffer from post traumatic stress just as a normal part of being around this? And if so, wouldn't this affect the efficiency and judgments they are making on a daily basis? Maybe arresting people that should have been let go or given a warning, etc.?

bala

I second that but not completely.Though you do over react and arrest a guy when he just needed a warning,there still is a way around if they start de-stressing.I mean..you really have to devote time to other things as well rather than sitting around and meddling with prisoners.It is human tendency but one that can be altered..:p

ReDGuNNeR

Officers who will exhibit these sort of symptoms are usually weeded out well before they get the badge. There is alot of psychological testing that goes on during the employment phase. The ideal candidate will be able to deal with stressful situations, as needed on demand. Not everyone has what it takes to be a police officer, and for all the hate they get these days, I tip my had and show respect to the men and women of law enforcement.

JessMere

This is a really great topic that I don’t think actually gets addressed enough, at least in the public eye. I’m not a police officer but I would assume that as part of their training and job expectations that counseling and other measures would be taken in the case of PTSD. I know that I have personally gone through some pretty intense situations and have had to take some therapy and I at least think I am okay now. But, my choices and decisions aren’t affecting the general public in any significant ways. I would imagine that dealing with intense, stressful situations throughout the day would affect the ways you would end up treating others.

helaofthenorns

I think they do. Do police officers have regular psychiatric check ups or are they just for serious cases? I know a policeman who suffered from PTSSD because he shot a criminal and killed him. I don't know how he is now though.

GemmaRowlands

I think that no matter how well suited a police officer is for the job, they are bound to see things that cause upset and stress. The important thing, though, is how they deal with it. It is very important that they understand that, on the whole, they are a great resource for the people, letting them live their lives in safety with the promise of protection as and when they need it. Some officers have coping mechanisms like going for a run after work to clear their heads, and most police departments have counselling sessions that they can sign up for if things really do get too tough for them. So there is always that option, and it is vital to remember that there is a lot of help out there.

LuckyGirl08

I think that eventually all police suffer post traumatic stress. Their job is dangerous and they deal with a lot of crazy people. I think that they experience this when they kill someone. I have known a police officer for a couple of years and he said that he still has dreams of killing someone. He goes to concealing for it and it has helped him a lot.

Whitewolf2578

This can be the case to those that do the job and are not prepared for the serious issues that occur when you are in law enforcement. Usually happens with those that think it is just cruising around dealing with traffic violations, but the moment they get shot at they poo their pants.

Josie

I'm with you. I couldn't do it. I'd be in fear for my safety all the time and arresting people I don't believe should be arrested would chip at my conscience for the rest of my life. I also have a hard time being around negative people; it's an effort to look past it and remain positive, so I couldn't imagine if my every day was full of it. I guess it would depend on the city you're working in though.

Rosyrain

I would imagine that they do having to be exposed to some of they see in their line of work. Imagine having to see a dead body or something lying there and having to go about your job like it is no big deal for the time being. I have a friend who told me that they go through debriefing and concealing sessions afterward so they can get the feelings and emotions off their chests and out in the open.

Profit5500

I think that I would start losing some of my humanity from being around criminals and dishonest people for a majority of my life if I worked with them all the time. It gets me down just meeting random mean people in stores or on the street when I am out with my kids.
Do you think that police officers suffer from post traumatic stress just as a normal part of being around this? And if so, wouldn't this affect the efficiency and judgments they are making on a daily basis? Maybe arresting people that should have been let go or given a warning, etc.?
What I feel is that some probably do suffer from that which a number of them had served in the military before joining the police force. It is part of the job dealing with these nutjobs. I would really need to take anger management before doing this job.

shilpa123

Yes it happens to be quite often. I do not think that there can be any other reason for it other than your job. It is not good for health.

dyanmarie25

Police officers are just humans, and all humans are prone to depression and could also suffer from post traumatic stress. It's in our nature. It just depends on us how we are going to handle it. I think some police officers are just being tough on the outside because their job requires them to be, but on the inside, they are also going through anxiety and apprehension issues.