Faster police vehicles?

davidj96

Would you guys prefer faster vehicles, faster than just a Dodge Charger? I was on my home today and watched a motorcycle rider take off from a police officer and the officer didn't even bother chasing him. I guess his cruiser wouldn't have been able to keep up or it just wasn't worth the risk, or both. If I were a cop I'd prefer something like a Nissan GTR, to catch the guys who run. What do you guys think?

bala

Nissan GTR is a brilliant vehicle and the cops would love using it to chase criminals,but honestly as a general public,even we too would love it,because,that makes it look like street racing,but the difference being,with a cop.
personally i would love it..if i were travelling in a M3 and a cop is chasing my ass on a GTR.That would be brilliant,cant wait for both to happen..:p :p

KrustyKrabella

No matter how fast a police car is, a motorcycle is always going to have an advantage just because it's smaller and much more maneuverable. I don't think more speed for the police is needed. People who run from cops are running for a reason. They'll get caught eventually!

Profit5500

Nissan GTR sounds like a bright idea to have for a police car. I wondered if a Dodge Viper would make an interesting police car. Since the Dodge Viper is a race car and has been around for a while I never seen it with a police look before.

ReDGuNNeR

Certain jurisdictions usually have faster cars that can be called in the event of an emergency, but when it's a speed bike, you can probably forget it, no one is catching up to that. Most cops don't even bother but if it's deemed enough of a threat a helicopter unit can be called and so much for that.

Which reminds me of the time I was on a highway and a perp was being chased by a police car as he was on a very fast GSX bike. He literally ran off the road and into a huge ditch in order to evade the officer, and ended up on the opposite side of the highway which was pretty much impossible in the interchange it occurred on. The officer had no choice but to stop the pursuit :C

bala

Nissan GTR sounds like a bright idea to have for a police car. I wondered if a Dodge Viper would make an interesting police car. Since the Dodge Viper is a race car and has been around for a while I never seen it with a police look before.
Do you envy the "supercar" fleet in Dubai.?? They have the veyron and this being the fastest,the cops can pull them over easily.It would make up for a nice race though if there are 2 veyrons in action..
Dodge,as u suggested is more a racing car..something that wouldn't fit the cop stature.

Riggy

A faster car is always a great idea but there are many factors to think about. The terrain, cost and public view are just some. Just because the car is fast doesn't mean that it'll be a) able to be as fast in any terrain and b) be able to be used for general purposes. The cost speaks for itself and doesn't need much explaining. Lastly, the public view is very important. Do you want people looking at the new, high speed cop car and thinking how they can afford it while others are not able to put bread on the table etc? It's obviously good but it won't be needed in many cases and it's not extremely logical.

Rainman

Faster cars wouldn't be much of an asset. Police work shouldn't include high speed chases that endanger the lives of the police and the people they are pursuing.
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A man is dead and a woman has been hospitalized following a police pursuit that ended in a car crash.
To avoid such accidents if it's something serious they can call in a chopper to help with the pursuit. Why take unnecessary risks?

askanison

Faster cars aren't always better. Here in Memphis they have a rule to follow about car chases because of many that have caused big accidents. I would rather see an officer and bystanders safe than see the police tearing through the city causing damages, injury, and possible death just to catch on speeder.

caparica007

I think that the police is well equipped in this particular, I mean, if they don't have reliable and fast cars how can they get the criminals?

Riggy

Faster cars wouldn't be much of an asset. Police work shouldn't include high speed chases that endanger the lives of the police and the people they are pursuing. To avoid such accidents if it's something serious they can call in a chopper to help with the pursuit. Why take unnecessary risks?

While I completely agree with you, they have to chase/continue to chase the criminal as there's a high chance he could get away or even hide his car from the view of the helicopter. Also, the helicopter is an expensive option... even though endangering lives is also, if not more, expensive. Either way is has huge cons I guess.

cpefley

I agree with the motorcycle statement. Motorcycles always have the advantage. However, I like seeing those cool police cars. There are a lot of Dodge Chargers out where I live. I want one!

Profit5500

I think that the police is well equipped in this particular, I mean, if they don't have reliable and fast cars how can they get the criminals?
Unfortunately the criminals would just end up getting away all the time if vehicles were not fast enough. Its important for the police to have the tools so that they can catch the crooks and not have to worry about losing a wanted murderer all the time. If lose dangerous criminals then they would have another chance to hurt someone else.

Riggy

I agree with the motorcycle statement. Motorcycles always have the advantage. However, I like seeing those cool police cars. There are a lot of Dodge Chargers out where I live. I want one!

Motorcyles wouldn't be the way to go. They can only catch up in an pursuit with ease but what are you going to do then? The car can easily take out the bike and if they do stop the criminal, where are they going to put him?

DancingLady

Faster vehicles might seem like a good idea, but then you run into the added risks associated with greater speed. I don't think it would be a good idea in reality because there are likely other people on the road who don't know a police chase is happening who may be in danger.

shreklock

Why can't police just have motorcycles? There are countries that police use both cars and motorcycles. If the cars are unable to catch the the criminal, motorcycles can stop them and wait for support.

Peninha

Yep, that happens in my country, police officers have both cars and motorcycles, I guess that happens in the US as well no?

JoshPosh

Banned
No matter how fast a speeding vehicle is, it will never be faster than a radio wave. All the cops have to do is call it in and the can block the roads.

bluekknd2

I think you bring up a valid point. How do we handle motorcycle riders? The likelihood of a fatal accident is much higher if we pursue. You just have to use your judgement, we don't need faster cars, we have radios and lots of brothers (or sisters) to help.