Faster police vehicles?

Riggy

Why can't police just have motorcycles?

Because when someone is desperate enough to get away, they may ram into the officer and take him down or off the motorcycle. Not only that, but seeing as there is nothing really to protect the officer on the bike from harm besides an helmet and possibly a bullet proof vest - what chance does an officer have again someone in a car and with a gun? It's not as easy as you think.

Onionman

I don't think faster cars will always be the answer. Since the dawn of time, criminals will find a way to get even faster cars. It's almost like an arms race - the police get faster cars, everyone else gets even faster cars and bikes; and so on.

Muthoni

Yes it would be nice if the police can have up to date machinery to deal with criminals. It is also true that this will work for some time until some clever criminals find a way to surpass that. It never hurts to have the best; therefore continuous upgrading is part of keeping up with the times. The police have a very difficult job dealing with people who will not obey the law for a peaceful existence.

Peninha

No matter how fast a speeding vehicle is, it will never be faster than a radio wave. All the cops have to do is call it in and the can block the roads.

Yep, they work as a team, so they have that advantage, but they need to have good cars as well, it's a fact.

Profit5500

Yes it would be nice if the police can have up to date machinery to deal with criminals. It is also true that this will work for some time until some clever criminals find a way to surpass that. It never hurts to have the best; therefore continuous upgrading is part of keeping up with the times. The police have a very difficult job dealing with people who will not obey the law for a peaceful existence.
The idea of having up to date cars is there but the budget is the main problem that is hindering the progress. If there were no drawbacks then the police all over would get a huge upgrade in cars.

jeremy2

I would prefer that the police be provided with the latest state of the art surveillance equipment than fast cars. In such a situation, there would be no need for the cop to give chase and yet he can capture the registration details of the owner in an instant and ultimately where he resides.

caparica007

The police need to have lots of equipment to catch up with criminals and fast cars certainly are on the top of that list.

Mackmax

No matter how fast a police car is, a motorcycle is always going to have an advantage just because it's smaller and much more maneuverable. I don't think more speed for the police is needed. People who run from cops are running for a reason. They'll get caught eventually!

This.
I've seen a few motorcycles get pulled over by a cop and about 2 of the motorcyclists sped off. Honestly, when it comes to getting pulled over, it isn't worth it to run, and it isn't worth it for a cop to chase.
Cops record the license plates of the motorcycles so even if they get away, the cop can still charge them, and charge them for running.

sunrider

Would you guys prefer faster vehicles, faster than just a Dodge Charger? I was on my home today and watched a motorcycle rider take off from a police officer and the officer didn't even bother chasing him.

Likely wasn't worth it. The officer probably had the plate. There's no need to start a dangerous chase that endangers the participants and everyone around if it's a small traffic infraction. If it's something serious, call in air support or other units...but most likely, just catch 'em another day. Can't run forever!

LitoLawless

I think that the police should get faster vehicles. It will help them get to the scene faster. The faster they can get to the crime scene the faster they can get to work. It will also come in handy with chases and things like that.

Hengista

The Nissan GTR would be a very interesting vehicle, fast, resilient and maneuverable. It would certainly discourage petty criminals in a large scale, as pretty much noone would be able to escape from such a car. Perhaps it is far too expensive, comparing to the typical American alternatives?