How many breaks do police officers get during a work shift?

True2marie

According to labor and industry laws, workers are supposed to get two breaks and a lunch during an eight hour shift. Do police officers abide by this policy?

I ask because I rarely see officers in uniform at a deli or McDonald's. Then, when I do, they get back into their car and continue driving around.

Ricardo187

I guess they have normal breaks OR they can chose to stop to eat something during their shifts when they feel hungry. Either way, I am curious about that too.

PhilA

Those breaks are the legal requirement of employment law, so they do get those breaks. But like in most jobs, whether you choose to take it or even spend it just hanging out, its up to you.

bala

They take a lunch break and 2 breaks for coffee as you said.In here,they take much more than that,more like 4-5 breaks.The government doesn't mind it as long as they do their work properly.
It is also justified in them taking those breaks,they really have to toil hard everyday.

Profit5500

I think since it is the law they are supposed to be allowed to have a break and lunch. I know when I had my job as a student leader for some school program we had at the university we had more than two breaks and a lunch period. I would not imagine them not allowed to take a break.

askanison

Yeah that sounds right. My brother gets two breaks and a lunch. They are on call however and know if they get a call they have to drop everything and get back to work. Lives are stake so breaks don't matter.

WhyLater

Apparently, those on patrol are on a staggered schedule, and dispatch lets them know when their 30-minute break starts. However, they might still receive a "hot call", which, if you're on break and you're the primary, you have to cut your break short and respond ASAP. This is obviously for urgent calls.

bala

Apparently, those on patrol are on a staggered schedule, and dispatch lets them know when their 30-minute break starts. However, they might still receive a "hot call", which, if you're on break and you're the primary, you have to cut your break short and respond ASAP. This is obviously for urgent calls.
eeks,that is bad.Do they have an option of not responding to that "hot call" at all,during that break.
I hope you understand what i am meaning here,its like,can they actually turn it down and still have their break..?
yeah even in urgent cases..!!

True2marie

Oh, I didn't know this. However, it makes sense and explains what I see. My neighborhood is so-so on crime. So, I am sure local officers have quiet days and really busy ones that make them cut their breaks short.

Profit5500

Whoa wait a minute what if you have to go to the bathroom and take a dump really bad? I would imagine the embarrassment that would go with that officer crapping himself if he did not make it. Could you turn down the hot call or not?

WhyLater

Whoa wait a minute what if you have to go to the bathroom and take a dump really bad? I would imagine the embarrassment that would go with that officer crapping himself if he did not make it. Could you turn down the hot call or not?

They actually talked about this too, in the old forum discussion I pulled up, haha. Basically, if you thought you might be in the bathroom for awhile, you would radio dispatch and let them know; dispatch would then pretty much treat you like you were on break. If you happen to be in the middle of it and get a hot call, well, finish up as fast as you can!

I imagine hot calls don't go out all that often. Even if a call is quite pressing, chances are the second-closest officer will be close enough to get there on time. But, this is just speculation based on what I've read.