Officer IQ

lushlala

Whatever the case, whatever the country, I still maintain that the likelihood of someone being turned down for a job in the police force on the basis of their high IQ would be very low! I just can't believe that someone being highly intelligent could potentially hinder them from pursuing a career in the police force. It just doesn't make sense to me at all. -and actually, I find it insulting to the police! I mean suggestions that very intelligent people would never be interested in being in the police force are absurd LOL

*I poked around Google to see if I could find any evidence to support the idea that the US police force shuns highly intelligent prospective police officers. The plot continues to thicken, as so far the only case I've come across that keeps cropping up is of some guy called Jordan that happened back in 1996. Beyond that, I have found nothing that suggests that there's a general preference for candidates of no higher than average intelligence! It appears that this same story from back in 1996 is the only reference point, and just keeps being spun through the years!! Is it even a true story?!

Have a look and draw your own conclusions. I found the discussion thread made for very interesting reading too!

Can Someone Be Too Smart To Be A Cop?

Gabe

A high IQ doesn't mean someone is better because I know many with a high IQ who have little common sense and poor social skills. These are more important to be a police officer, to be able to communicate with others and understand what is going on. Intelligence is one thing but putting theories into practical use is another skill altogether.

thomas pendrake

Whatever the case, whatever the country, I still maintain that the likelihood of someone being turned down for a job in the police force on the basis of their high IQ would be very low! I just can't believe that someone being highly intelligent could potentially hinder them from pursuing a career in the police force. It just doesn't make sense to me at all. -and actually, I find it insulting to the police! I mean suggestions that very intelligent people would never be interested in being in the police force are absurd LOL

*I poked around Google to see if I could find any evidence to support the idea that the US police force shuns highly intelligent prospective police officers. The plot continues to thicken, as so far the only case I've come across that keeps cropping up is of some guy called Jordan that happened back in 1996. Beyond that, I have found nothing that suggests that there's a general preference for candidates of no higher than average intelligence! It appears that this same story from back in 1996 is the only reference point, and just keeps being spun through the years!! Is it even a true story?!

Have a look and draw your own conclusions. I found the discussion thread made for very interesting reading too!

I would like to refer you to this article from late 2014 regarding a lowering of max IQ for St, Louis Missouri LOWERING the max allowed IQ for officers. Note how close this is to Ferguson, where a recent police killing of an unarmed person has received much attention. It does mention the 1996 ruling as a DIFFERENT situation related to the topic,
see "Missouri Police Department Drastically Reduces IQ Requirements..."for an article about this subject. I tried to post a link, but the program wouldn't allow it. Google the above, it should work.