Rainman

Police officers justify the use of excessive force by saying that they have to defend themselves. I must note in passing though, that in some cases when their life is on the line a police officer should shoot an armed suspect. But aren't cops trained to be good marksmen? Wouldn't a bullet to the legs, knees,etc stop a suspect and render them helpless ? So, officers, is self-defense ever an excuse for shooting someone dead? Why do some police officers opt to shoot a suspect dead rather shoot to wound them?

Ricardo187

Many times they don't choise to shoot them to death. If the suspect is armed and you shoot a leg, he'll still be able to fire back at you due to the adrenaline. Also, you don't have that much time to aim.

lei

Exactly, especially when they shoot them multiple times. They know that they'll kill them,it's pretty obvious. Shoot them in their foot or hand or somewhere with little arteries.

PhilA

They cannot take any chances, if they leave the suspect with the chance to still fire back then its dangerous.

stevesxs9

That's an interesting question but I guess you would have to put yourself in their shoes. Personally I would not shoot at anyone who doesn't have a weapon or isn't shooting at me.

DancingLady

Does it ever make a difference what the suspect's weapon is? I understand that a wounded person could still fire a gun, but someone armed with a knife could not really attack if they were shot in the leg, they would be unable to run toward the officer. Wouldn't it be better to give that person a second chance to drop their weapon live rather that shooting to kill?

bala

I agree on the concept of self defense only if the situation is life threatening.The cops sometime misuse it and that is because the reason they give seems final.I mean,there are no more investigations to it.
Acc to me,cops can injure and make him immobile if attacked,but they can't shoot a person down unless they have some proof that it was life threatening.

GemmaRowlands

All of the officers who I know only use any kind of violence when it is absolutely necessary, and when they would be put at risk themselves if they did not choose to do this. However I am also more than aware that there might be other people who indeed choose to harm others when there is no real need. It is a shame, because it can sometimes mean that certain officers get a bad name because of the actions of others, however you should remember that they are very much in the minority, and that you should not worry about them.

Ricardo187

Does it ever make a difference what the suspect's weapon is? I understand that a wounded person could still fire a gun, but someone armed with a knife could not really attack if they were shot in the leg, they would be unable to run toward the officer. Wouldn't it be better to give that person a second chance to drop their weapon live rather that shooting to kill?

Put yourself in their shoes, in such a situation, they don't have time to think, it's a reaction, a reflex. Either way, the people bring it upon themselves. The officers warn them to drop their weapon, else they'll be shot. People know they'll be shot, why don't they drop the weapon? I can't be sad for that people, they die because they want to.

bala

Put yourself in their shoes, in such a situation, they don't have time to think, it's a reaction, a reflex. Either way, the people bring it upon themselves. The officers warn them to drop their weapon, else they'll be shot. People know they'll be shot, why don't they drop the weapon? I can't be sad for that people, they die because they want to.
In fact they warn them thrice to drop their weapons,but in cases where they shoot them without warning is unacceptable.I would say it isn't justified too,because a guy was shot because he was holding an air rifle.Don't cops know the difference between a original gun and this one..?
Although this isn't pertinent,this still needed a share.

Profit5500

If you shoot the suspect in the arm he would still keep going. I think it depends on the suspect you are dealing with. Since most people would have the adrenaline in their system it would not be beneficial to shoot that person in the leg or arm.

milyjohnson

This is a really interesting question. I wondered if police had to shoot to kill people like that too. I asked my brother about it and he said that the police aren't aiming to kill people. As others have said, sometimes it is about the aim. I do think they should try and aim for the leg or arm, but I can see why they would feel like the person could still end up shooting them.