Should All Cops Learn Martial Arts?

jeremy2

Not just basic self-defense. A police officer who can defend himself without having to use a weapon unless it's called for, can be of great value especially when responding to an issue relating to domestic violence. You want to restrain someone, not shoot or taser them then asking questions later. What do you think? Should learning something like judo be mandatory for all cops?
I think that would be great and would go a long way in reducing the number of fatalities whenever police are in the process of subduing suspects.Apart from judo,karate would also be efficient.

LitoLawless

I think that it would only benefit them to be as prepared for any situation as they possibly can. It'll be just like all those Steven Segal or Arnold Schwarzenegger movies from the 90s, which would be pretty cool (unless you're on the receiving end of an armbar or something alone those lines). If the techniques they use won't be used in the wrong way (and really who are we to say if it will or it won't) then I think that they should be given the option to learn martial arts in the police force.

goldenmaine

It is highly recommended and preferable that applicants training to be police officers know and at least has a background of at least one style of martial arts. There will be times that they have to apprehend a person without using weapons so that it would be safer. Sometimes they could also lose their weapon in combat, and this may resolve to hand to hand combat with the criminal. In our area, the applicants in the academy are required to know a style of martial arts or self defense before entering and training.

OGRICHBOI

At the very least, I feel as if police officers should learn some basic self defense. Being defenseless in any situation can turn out extremely bad if the perpetrator knows more self defense. Martial Arts may be a bit extreme, but if a cop wants to do so, then go ahead.

JoanMcWench

It's nice to have at your disposal but I don't feel it should be a necessity. Why not make boxing a mandatory training aspect? I mean it's all preference. A lot of officers train outside of what is mandatory but it's usually what suits them individually.

JohnBrock

It's nice to have at your disposal but I don't feel it should be a necessity. Why not make boxing a mandatory training aspect? I mean it's all preference. A lot of officers train outside of what is mandatory but it's usually what suits them individually.

I am not sure I agree on this sentiment, specific martial arts teach very pacifist ways of fighting that are meant to disable the opponent quickly, having this kind of knowledge provides the officers with a tool-set that makes physically imposing situations less threatening, and by extension makes drawing a fire-arm less probably.

I fear that today, in many situations, a physically imposing situation (that is to say, one where a cop feels threatened, but without a weapon) makes the cop more likely to draw a weapon, which is a lose-lose situation.

marcamm

Ideally, it sounds pretty great that every police knows some form of self-defense or martial arts. But then again, I think it won't be that usable most of the time because many police work doesn't involve fighting, self-defense or having to take someone down physically. They could pick SOME though, whether those who have potential or those who really want it.

So I think it's a great idea but it is just not that practical.