School asks officer not to wear uniform or sidearm while picking up daughter

kwalsh477

Arizona Police Officer Dad Was Told Not to Visit His Daughter's School While in Uniform.
[video=youtube;fLiU705vOy0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLiU705vOy0[/video]

cjdatk

I hope that there never comes a day when they really need the police, are they suppose to show up without a uniform and a gun

vhallmann

Most schools now have a Police Resource Officer on site everyday, aren't they afraid of them with the uniforms and guns. Who had this brain fart of an idea

Ricardo187

I completely agree with him wearing his uniform and duty weapon. I mean, it's his job, and it most likely makes other people in the school feel safer when he's there, not the other way around. After all, he's a police officer, not a normal citizen with a gun.

Ricardo187

That is weird,what for yet kids are aware of the existence of cops and the use of guns, that is being silly.

Indeed. Kids don't live in bubbles now-a-days. They know that cops are good people that help other people catch bad guys and use pistols, so I don't really know what the parents are concerned about. I guess their concern is the fact that some massacres happen in schools and they're afraid the cop faces psychological problems and does one of those.

ic3squid

Well, I can see how the kids may be scared of a police officer with his gun in uniform, but seriously? they should be feeling safe that a police officer is nearby, if some guy with a gun just storms out of nowhere then whelp, there's a police officer that can solve the situation.

bradyjim86

When School shootings happen it's a bad day for everyone. Asking a police officer not to wear his gun and uniform to the school seems to me like you are putting everyone especially the Children at risk. When I was a kid you had plenty of respect for police. Most if not all police I believe everyone of them would put their life on the line to save a child

owenzw2

What is funny and sad about this whole situation is that the school is asking him to come back into the school and have an awareness type of training day for the kids. Why? The funny thing is in the video it shows an armed police officer at school so why are the kids not afraid of them. The parents complain to the principal and the principal ask the officer not to come dressed in work clothes. It sounds like a bunch of paranoid gun grabbers trying to make a point. What they don't realize is he is not the problem. Parents better stop teaching their kids to run and hide and being afraid of everything or you will end up with your children living back in your house when their 30 years old because they can't stand up to the bully in the office. I think I'm now ranting

Vivat

A police officer should make the people nearby feel safer, not vice versa - Every time I see a police officer, I feel safer rather than in danger. I trust the police, for kids to fear police makes no sense.

bala

isn't it his right to wear it in public.Ridiculous action by that school.The school explaining its logic too is silly."Unarmed people in a school don't like someone showing up in uniform, and all it represents to them, wearing a firearm".Should he have his ccw permit,there are no state laws prohibiting it being carried to schools...

ItsZiggy

I can see where the school is coming from as kids are naturally taught or learn on their own to fear the police, but at the same time the school is only encouraging that fear for reasons I'm not sure I even want to know. That's their right I suppose.

Doulachic79

Insanity! From my perspective, children ought to trust police officers and know they are there as their guardian angels. I would want any officer to be in full uniform, belt and packing around my children. They would be better suited to know that the police is on their side and not against them. Pretty poor choice to tell him to wear plain clothes.

Kate

This happened last October... nearly a year ago. Any word on whether or not the school ever backed down on such a ludicrous request? I've looked and can't find an update. I hope the backlash was swift!

Ricardo187

Well, I guess this only happened because school directorship is letting themselves be influenced by parents too much, instead of thinking by themselves. I hope to see updates too.

Gelsemium

I don't know what to think about this, if I can understand about the gun, I really don't get about the uniform, so he needs to change before picking up the kid? I don't agree with it.

Doulachic79

How much further does society need to go? Doctors must remove scrubs because they were in the presence of ill patients, so they have to change. Or waitresses must change also because it will teach children that working in a blue collar profession is unsuitable. Ugh. I can't.