School asks officer not to wear uniform or sidearm while picking up daughter

wulfman

I'm sure he is professional enough not to flaunt his power or show some kid his gun. LOL .
Why would a school ask not to have an officer around ? With all the stuff going around I would think they would be appreciative to have parent cops .

PhilA

There are so many things wrong with that situation. Firstly, it should not be a problem to see a police officer and his gun. Secondly, he should not of complained publicly about it (with poor grammar). Thirdly, calling him in to talk about safety etc to the kids is just a public 360 turn.

Ricardo187

How much further does society need to go? Doctors must remove scrubs because they were in the presence of ill patients, so they have to change. Or waitresses must change also because it will teach children that working in a blue collar profession is unsuitable. Ugh. I can't.

You're right even though that's not the reason why he was asked to not wear uniform/weapon. Some parents were afraid for their children's safety I believe, not the influences of the profession.

Profit5500

Its his child his life let him come in as he is people. Besides he should be recognized that he is a police officer of the law when at the school grounds. If he wanted to dress in plain clothes that would be his choice as well. I think the school should but out of decisions like this one its just incompetent.

Ricardo187

I'm sure he is professional enough not to flaunt his power or show some kid his gun. LOL .
Why would a school ask not to have an officer around ? With all the stuff going around I would think they would be appreciative to have parent cops .

I guess the parents that raised the problem were afraid that he isn't that much competent. It's a truth that police is not what it used to be and people can act out of stress, but indeed, it's too much. You can't keep your children inside a bubble forever neither.

Shawn

That's good, teach the kids to fear the police. How stupid!

That is exactly what is going on. Police need to counter this problem, too. If an ignorant school does then, police should host an afterschool program right next to the school about integrating officers and kids into community programs. If I was chief, I would counter that school until they looked like the most foolish school in the country.

Profit5500

That is exactly what is going on. Police need to counter this problem, too. If an ignorant school does then, police should host an afterschool program right next to the school about integrating officers and kids into community programs. If I was chief, I would counter that school until they looked like the most foolish school in the country.
That sounds like a pleasant idea so that way the school can interact with the police. I think having a meeting with a ignorant school should also allow parents to meet with the officers so a plan can be devised for keeping those kids safe.

lei

Why do they even have the authority to say that? As long as he isn't a real threat, I wouldn't mind. Kids should feel that the police is on their side.

Ricardo187

Why do they even have the authority to say that? As long as he isn't a real threat, I wouldn't mind. Kids should feel that the police is on their side.

I don't think they have the authority as they only asked him. It's still embarrassing for a police officer to hear such thing though.

Profit5500

I don't think they have the authority as they only asked him. It's still embarrassing for a police officer to hear such thing though.
Okay so what if a shooting were to occur at the school and the officer is there but has not way of protecting himself? Then the school would be crying about they needed protection when they were the ones who told him to not bring his gun and wear his uniform while picking up his daughter from school. To this extent I would rather that the officer and his child be safe.

Dixons

I doubt this is a good idea, the officer should be allowed to wear his uniform and side-arm. I really can't see the harm in it. I doubt most of these kids even know what a gun is for.

ic3squid

I think they should allow him to wear his uniform, but his sidearm maybe not because it might scare the children because they are most likely hypnotized by the media and other people saying that guns are bad and they kill and such.

Ricardo187

I think they should allow him to wear his uniform, but his sidearm maybe not because it might scare the children because they are most likely hypnotized by the media and other people saying that guns are bad and they kill and such.
They should know that police carries weapons and are responsible to use them too. It makes no sense for a cop to hide his firearm from children in school. If they're already in school, they are old enough to know this.

js85

That doesn't seem right to me at all. I think the worst thing that can happen for gun safety is a prohibition and ignorance on it. Children are naturally curious, so I believe it's best to educate them on everything they possibly can learn about so when the topic does come up they aren't naive about it. When they see a police officer safely handling a weapon, they know that weapons are meant to be safely handled. When they see a police officer picking up a kid - just like them - from school, they'll know that police officers aren't boogymen, but they're humans with families just like theirs with a very special protective profession, so they know they can trust them and also treat them as a human. There's too much "think of the children! save the children!" and not enough ACTUALLY thinking about the children or saving the children.

Profit5500

That doesn't seem right to me at all. I think the worst thing that can happen for gun safety is a prohibition and ignorance on it. Children are naturally curious, so I believe it's best to educate them on everything they possibly can learn about so when the topic does come up they aren't naive about it. When they see a police officer safely handling a weapon, they know that weapons are meant to be safely handled. When they see a police officer picking up a kid - just like them - from school, they'll know that police officers aren't boogymen, but they're humans with families just like theirs with a very special protective profession, so they know they can trust them and also treat them as a human. There's too much "think of the children! save the children!" and not enough ACTUALLY thinking about the children or saving the children.
Well children should be educated but not instructed on using guns depending on what it is. The responsibility should be carried out with really careful attention. Kids are naturally curious and would touch many things so we need to educate them on being discreet and responsible.

GemmaRowlands

I genuinely think that this is a ridiculous thing to go and do. These days, children are protected so much that they don't fear anyone. And anyway, the police are not people to be afraid of, they are people who children need to learn to respect. They should know that they're there, and that they will be there if they ever need help for any reason. Seeing them on a daily basis, in full uniform, should be a key part of them learning about them, so not being allowed to wear whatever they like seems like a silly decision to me.

ReDGuNNeR

I agree with others that this has been taken too far. I can sort of understand unholstering his weapon but not allowing the officer to enter the pick-up area/school with his uniform seems like they have taken things way overboard. The officer has done nothing wrong and is being singled out due to all the anti-police hysteria. There are always bad apples in every batch but I don't think it should be taken to this extreme, especially since he is an agent working for the State.

This doesn't make very much sense to me but it is what it is.

LuckyGirl08

This is crazy. Most schools have security officers so I do not see where it's right for them to tell this officer not to wear his uniform and badge. I do not think that it scares the children. If anything, it makes them feel safe. By them doing this is outrageous. What is one day the officer picks up his daughter and something occurs in the school, then they will look stupid because the officer would not be able to defend them without his fun and handcuffs.

stevesxs9

I don't understand why this just came up. The school should have been met with the children and explained that this is t what a police officer wears to his or her job, and that they are safe when they see this.