School asks officer not to wear uniform or sidearm while picking up daughter

KrustyKrabella

It is unfair to ask him to change out of his uniform, in my opinion. Not only is it unfair, but we shouldn't be teaching our children to be afraid of police officers. Maybe they should instead ask him to speak at an assembly so he can make the children more comfortable with seeing law enforcement officers and seeing that there is nothing to be afraid of.

I think this whole thing is just ridiculous!

ReDGuNNeR

I agree! We need to get our children as well as the rest of society to respect law enforcement at large once again. Just because a few bad apples (I know I'm repeating what I said in my last post, but I really don't want to use any unnecessary spiteful language to specific negative aspects within LEO) have turned against certain communities does not mean we have to protect our kids from the protectors of our community. It just sounds silly!

Profit5500

Is it the sidearm that is making the school worry so much. To tell you the truth the school has no authority over how the officer appears while on duty or off duty. To me its safer for him to pick up his daughter in uniform over not having one on.

JoshPosh

Banned
That's silly. It's a uniform for christ sakes. They are putting up there like long black trench coats. They are professional clothes. Let them be.

Rainman

The demand that police officer could not wear his uniform or sidearm while picking up his daughter made no sense. Should there be a dress code for parents who go picking their children from school? Good thing though is the misunderstanding was solved the right way.
They invited the officer to a special assembly to talk about what police officers do for the community.
From then on I'm sure the kids in the school didn't see him just as "a man with a gun."

Riggy

You know times are bad when you don't even feel safe from the one person who's duty is to protect you. Honestly, how can parents not even speak to their children and explain to them that they are completely safe with someone like this around? Amazing.

Rainman

The children told their parents that there was "a man in school with a gun." So apparently, the kids didn't recognize the uniformed gun-toting guy as a cop. Parents actually need to tell kids about cops and have them know that when they are trouble the first person they should trust other than their parents is cops. It just proves how bad parenting has become in the U.S — kids are supposed to learn stuff on their own.

Gelsemium

I think that the real issue here is not the uniform, but the gun and I can respect that, there's no place to carry a gun, a school filled with kids.

Riggy

I think that the real issue here is not the uniform, but the gun and I can respect that, there's no place to carry a gun, a school filled with kids.

You never know what could happen at any point in time. I think we've heard enough terrible stories about what people are capable of.

Gelsemium

What do you mean by that, he can prevent a disaster at the school by carrying the gun or can he cause one? The issue is that kids are impressible by seeing guns.

Riggy

I mean that people can do terrible things anywhere. So I mean it in the sense that it is good that the officer was there and ready for any disturbances or issues. There have been many known incidents where crimes have been committed on school properties that involved injuries, sometimes fatal, to both parents and children. I think the officer having the right "gear" to stop it isn't bad.

Gelsemium

I think you are missing the point riggy, the issue was that the parents complained about their kids seeing the gun.

Allison2021

I am offended that any adult would ever ask an officer to do that. The police union's lawyer should sit and discuss that situation with whichever of the school's administrative director who made that request. Then the parents should be made to voice their opinion. Most parents would also be offended by such a request. They would be so upset that I'd bet the administrator would no longer have their job!

Last edited:

Riggy

I think you are missing the point riggy, the issue was that the parents complained about their kids seeing the gun.

I'm completely understanding the point. However, there are two sides to this point.
1) That completely shielding your child from stuff like guns is bad because they will never, ever either feel comfortable around guns (what if they were held at gun point. They would just freeze rather than try and act) and not know if the person with the gun was using it for good or bad. If you were to constantly shield your child from guns, the child would be worried when they see someone like a police officer holding a gun.
2) That completely allowing your children to be understanding of guns may lead to the child using guns as they are seen as nothing to worry about.

Let the children see the gun, understand what it's for and why someone like an officer has it rather than some strange man on the street.

jaygee

If it's a public school, I don't think they have the right to make that request. The man has an honorable job and it should be respected, so should the uniform that goes with it. I hope he takes it to the BOE. We need police officers in schools, they shouldn't be chased away.

Profit5500

If it's a public school, I don't think they have the right to make that request. The man has an honorable job and it should be respected, so should the uniform that goes with it. I hope he takes it to the BOE. We need police officers in schools, they shouldn't be chased away.
Public schools make requests that they would not know how to keep anyway so I would see why some people say to heck with it. Its his child so why the fuss about how he comes by to pick up his daughter. I would understand if he looked like a drug dealer but he is a uniformed officer so its not a problem.

Gelsemium

I'm completely understanding the point. However, there are two sides to this point.
1) That completely shielding your child from stuff like guns is bad because they will never, ever either feel comfortable around guns (what if they were held at gun point. They would just freeze rather than try and act) and not know if the person with the gun was using it for good or bad. If you were to constantly shield your child from guns, the child would be worried when they see someone like a police officer holding a gun.
2) That completely allowing your children to be understanding of guns may lead to the child using guns as they are seen as nothing to worry about.

Let the children see the gun, understand what it's for and why someone like an officer has it rather than some strange man on the street.

What you say makes some sense, but I don't think children will benefit from seeing a gun, I think they have time to be grown ups. Some people can pass their whole life without seeing one.

FuZyOn

What you say makes some sense, but I don't think children will benefit from seeing a gun, I think they have time to be grown ups. Some people can pass their whole life without seeing one.
They don't benefit, they need to understand that their daddy has a job to do. I would definitely not tell anything about it near my kids, only if they find it somehow and I need to explain to them.
I don't think they will have problems with being near guns if you don't make a big deal out of it.

Teens In Crisis

I can understand the school's overall point, if it boiled down to liability reasons. Some parents these days are litigious just for the sake of a settlement, and schools are struggling to keep funds as it is. However, a police officer, that's acting like an officer, should have easily been given a pass and allowed to continue on with what he was doing. If it was an issue, they could have probably acted like adults and brought him into the office, explained the situation, and asked if they could come to a reasonable conclusion. This is where talking to people like adults, and compromise, has to come into play. I bet if asked appropriately the officer would have gladly locked his weapon somewhere, or waited at a safe distance.

Teens In Crisis

Side Note: The uniform thing is completely out of line. He should be proud of that, and so should they. They wouldn't ask a soldier not to wear his uniform. Or, maybe the would, but I think that's taking it way too far. Attitudes like that are going to drive a wedge between citizens and law enforcement, when we should be teaching our children to be part of the team, and respect the position, if not the person.