School asks officer not to wear uniform or sidearm while picking up daughter

Profit5500

Side Note: The uniform thing is completely out of line. He should be proud of that, and so should they. They wouldn't ask a soldier not to wear his uniform. Or, maybe the would, but I think that's taking it way too far. Attitudes like that are going to drive a wedge between citizens and law enforcement, when we should be teaching our children to be part of the team, and respect the position, if not the person.
I think that the uniform that the officer wears should be enough to inform them that he is a officer of the law. Schools seem very weary of guns on the premises which I understand. If a shooting were to occur then how would the officer be able to defend his child and other children from the threat. In this case the school have their policies but the officer sworn to protect and serve the public so he should just be allowed to appear in uniform so I would know that I am safe.

Gelsemium

They don't benefit, they need to understand that their daddy has a job to do. I would definitely not tell anything about it near my kids, only if they find it somehow and I need to explain to them.
I don't think they will have problems with being near guns if you don't make a big deal out of it.

I really don't know if there is a need to carry the gun into the school, I think it's that simple.

princenyc

There is no reason to bring a gun into the school. It isn't a military compound. It's a school. We don't allow anyone else to bring weapons on campus. Not bringing his gun seems reasonable.

Strykstar

I don't see such a problem with the children seeing a gun, provided that they are seeing that it belongs to the police officer.
Police are just about the only people who are justified to be carrying a gun around, it's part of the uniform and he shouldn't have to remove it.

Teens In Crisis

I agree that it's reasonable to ask not to bring the gun, but it's unreasonable to deny access, especially the first time. How hard would it have been to simply ask the guy not to bring it again? Obviously it wasn't a situation that needed immediate action. They could have talked to him like the grown ups they all are.

As far as there not being a "reason" to bring the gun on school grounds. That depends on the situation. Could he have stowed it in his vehicle? Was he on duty? Would he have had to make a special trip all the way to the police station before picking his kid up, late? These are questions that I don't know the answers too, and without them it's tough to make a real decision on the "reason" behind it.

Most military compounds allow you to check your weapon it, considering how many schools have officers and major security, I wonder if that could be an option as well?

Popcorn365

I'm completely understanding the point. However, there are two sides to this point.
1) That completely shielding your child from stuff like guns is bad because they will never, ever either feel comfortable around guns (what if they were held at gun point. They would just freeze rather than try and act) and not know if the person with the gun was using it for good or bad. If you were to constantly shield your child from guns, the child would be worried when they see someone like a police officer holding a gun.
2) That completely allowing your children to be understanding of guns may lead to the child using guns as they are seen as nothing to worry about.

Let the children see the gun, understand what it's for and why someone like an officer has it rather than some strange man on the street.

Excellent point and very well said, Riggy! My sisters children freak out anytime they see a police officer because of the gun. Educate your children. My daughter thinks it's great because she knows that the police officer is there to protect her. Educate your children!

Profit5500

I don't see such a problem with the children seeing a gun, provided that they are seeing that it belongs to the police officer.
Police are just about the only people who are justified to be carrying a gun around, it's part of the uniform and he shouldn't have to remove it.
Police are licensed to carry a gun they get their credentials from the academy. If the school can have a school resource officer then I do not see why seeing a police officer come onto the campus with a gun and he is wearing his uniform is a problem.

diecarmona

So what? You're supposed to go home from work and change? What if you don't have the time? What if you're still on the job but on a quick "pick up your daughter" break?

I really think this is ridiculous, how the school even took the idea serious is just mindblowing to me. Aren't schools supposed to be filled with smart people?

If I was that cop, my daughter wouldn't be going to that school anymore.

LongShot

This makes zero sense in my opinion to tell the cop to not be in uniform or have his gun. Now, I can understand if they tell him to not have his gun. He can then just have his taser and baton. Though, you want him to take off his uniform also? The guy that is running this school probably has something against him or the police.

shilpa123

I do not think the kids will be really scared of the gun in his uniform as the kids love to play with gun. I think they would definitely enjoy playing with it, if it is given as a gift to them. I think the school is overdoing the act and getting worried for no reason.*

jeremy2

In light of the tragedies involving gun incidents that have happened in schools in the recent past,i can understand the motive behind the school directive.The sight of guns may have a negative psychological feeling amongst the students and in any case,it's the school's prerogative to decide what's best for their students.

primalclaws1974

I can see both sides on this issue. The school obviously is not in a large city and does not require armed security guards. The uniform and gun could scare kids. But on the other hand if the child has had no interaction with a uniformed person, they very well may fear them when and if the time comes that they need their help. This makes me think of articles I have read in the past where some inner-city kids only interaction with police is when they see them dragging their parents or older siblings off to jail. This makes them distrust, fear and hate the uniform. Police presence is necessary, and the more observable they are the less likely there is to be crime in that area.

Profit5500

I do not think the kids will be really scared of the gun in his uniform as the kids love to play with gun. I think they would definitely enjoy playing with it, if it is given as a gift to them. I think the school is overdoing the act and getting worried for no reason.*
kids playing with a gun is a huge no no. I just do not forget that incident in Florida where a 9 year old girl accidently killed her instructor while not able to control a uzi's recoil. The kids on the school grounds could be educated about the gun safety. More they are educated about firearms then the better they would be in not making mistakes.

ally79

I think this is the stupidest news story I have seen in awhile and Arizona is supposed to be gun friendly. I hope the office fights the school board on this because they have crossed way over the line. It is GOOD for kids to see officers in uniform and part of that is their sidearm!

CyberGal

Good grief! I don't even want to get into the thinking/logic behind this one. There are already too many people who fear the police. I don't understand teaching kids this illogical fear from when they're still really young. I feel for that parent too... I mean, what if he can't just run home, take his uniform off and go get his kid. What if his kid is sick and he's at work and has to go pick them up? The school really needs to rethink this one!

hayrake

I'm sure this has more to do with the ever increasing push for gun control than it does with any concern over frightening children. All the same, if children are taught to fear guns no matter the circumstance it's going to make it mighty tough for them to know who the good guys really are.

Peachdejour

I remember my schools had a security officer and we invited police officers in for gun talks. We understood exactly why little Johnny or Susie's dad carried a gun. We developed community relationships early. We weren't taught to fear, but to respect the people who help keep us safer every day. Are they supposed to go out of their way to change before they pick her up? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

LitoLawless

I think that if kids saw a police officer at the school coming to pick up his daughter they would not only feel safe, but they would know who he is going there to pick up. I think I would personally fell safer if I saw a officer with his gun coming to pick someone up over someone in civilian clothes with a gun coming to pick up his daughter. What if he was in the middle of his shift? It wouldn't make a sense to change just to pick up his daughter.