Why do you think people disrespect police officers?

Profit5500

People are going to disrepect the LEO no matter what state it is. A LEO has to tackle on the most difficult task and that is to protect the public. You deal with robbers, thugs, gangbangers, psychos, and irate people who dislike the law. You have to be mentally alert at all times or your dead.

Lin

I mean think about it, police officers protect us from the bad guys and enforce the law so that we would all be living (or trying to) live our ideal lives in whatever political system that we have. Although ideally, democracy isn't a perfect system, I think it comes close to the ideal state since people get a shot at being who they are and living what life they want.

Of course, there would be a certain level of discrepancy when it comes to an individual police officer's temperament and mood. They're also people after all. But more than that, they are people tasked to protect people who are sometimes making it harder to protect them.

It's a really high stress job and I think police officers deserve respect more. In the same way that citizens also deserve this respect.

How about you? Do you think people don't respect police officers as much as they should?

I too believe that police officers deserve utmost respect for putting their lives on the line for their country. People on a whole are deviant however, and so whenever we come into contact with someone who enforces the law and what is just and right, we find that people will hate us. It is a though when someone is caught doing wrong doing, the cop must just give them a hi5, pat them on the shoulder and tell them job well done.

Marishu

I have respect for officers but sometime I don't it depends on who i'm watching like I sometime see cops pass a red light for no reason. Sometime they abuse their power as a cop. Some cops are cool also so I'm not blaming every cops just certain cops. If they have to give you a ticket for speeding it's not their fault it's ours so their doing their own job.

Rainman

Everyone who has authority of some kind has to be hated by people. With hatred comes disrespect because you never can respect someone you hate. Another reason most people don't respect police is because they are taught to fear police when they are young. When they grow older and realize a cop is just a guy or lady in a uniform they lose their respect for them.

LuckyGirl08

I was raised that you got to give respect to get it. Most officers that I know do not give the citizens any respect when something happens. It's hard for me to respect any cop after what happened to my mother and nobody responded to her call. She died 5 days later after the incident. She called the police and they told her that they did not have time to come where she was because they have more important things to do. So no, I do not and will not respect any cop in the town that I live in. They do not do their jobs anyways.

The reason some people disrespect the police is that those people forget the role police play in our society. They think that police are out to get them, rather than trying to keep the community safe. So when they see an officer, they think, oh no, he's trying to catch me doing something bad, rather than, nice, there's someone to keep me safe.

Profit5500

The reason some people disrespect the police is that those people forget the role police play in our society. They think that police are out to get them, rather than trying to keep the community safe. So when they see an officer, they think, oh no, he's trying to catch me doing something bad, rather than, nice, there's someone to keep me safe.
The people who put on that uniform everyday and have to protect and serve the community are the brave ones. I think the people who just disrespect them are obviously jealous of what they do. Its a difficult job so trying to do it when there are people who do not understand is a tough one.